We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butler Court House

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Butler Court House

I just found this site and I am so excited. My family and I will be traveling to Ireland next week and we will stay in Dublin for one night and then on to waterford for a day trip and then to Kilkenny. We are looking at staying at the Butler Court is this a place you would suggest. ? We will have one 9 years old child as well as a 12 year old in a wheel chair. She is able to get out a walk with braces if necessary. I was hoping you could give us some ideas about the Butler Court and places not to miss. Thanks so much. Sorry, I have been to Florence and Tuscany but not Rome..So not much help there. Thanks so much for your time. Karina

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Butler Court House

I just want to clarify where you are staying. There are two separate accommodations in Kilkenny, one is called Butler Court and one is called Butler House. They are very close to each other, almost next door, but separately owned and entirely different places. You seem to have amalgamated them into two - Butler Court House.

Butler House is the former Dower House to Kilkenny Castle and a a fairly grand georgian building, now not quite a hotel, more an upmarket B&B. Butler Court, on the other hand, is a family owned B&B in relatively modern building in a restored Courtyard next to Butler House. Both places are fine, but I hope you have specified that you will need wheelchair access so as to avoid any possible problems with accommodation when you arrive.

In any case, both places are on Patrick Street, which is right in the centre of town, an ideal place to be. There is a very good restaurant close by called Zuni. They do an excellent early menu from 6.30 to 8.00, as do many of the other good restaurants in Kilkenny. Kilkenny is easy to walk around and a lot of work was done to make it wheelchair friendly so I don't think you will have too many problems that way, but it is a mediaeval city so there are steps on some of the paths, particularly on the Parade opposite the Castle and on two of the slips off High Street. This won't stop you getting anywhere, you just have to cross over or go round another way. Everybody has the same problem with baby buggies. The weather is miserable at the moment. It may improve by next week but do bring suitable clothing - i.e. for the cold and damp.

You should walk all the way up the High Street to Irishtown, and then to St. Canice's Cathedral and the Round Tower. Then also visit the Kilkenny Design workshops and the Castle and Park. There are a lot of narrow steep stairs in the castle so it will probably only be possible for you to see the ground floor, but take a stroll through the castle park.

I hope you have a great time.

Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Butler Court House

Dear Irishrover:

If Ireland is as friendly as you I am certain we are in for a great time. Thanks for your help and yes I did indeed combine both places in my post. Too much time searching on the internet. We are considering staying at the Butler Court, not Butler House. Do have any suggestions for other places to stay? We are now under a time crunch since we will be traveling next week. Alot of the popular places seemed to be booked.

Can you provide any information regarding parking ?

And finally my husband, who is sitting next to me says, ask if the Smithwick brewery is open on saturday and worth the time to check out.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Karina

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Butler Court House

I didn't realise you would have a car. That means a lot more possibilities. You could not better Butler Court as far as location is concerned. It is in the centre of town, but down the quiet end and being in the courtyard, you should be protected from any street noise anyway. I'm not sure what they would have in the way of parking, most likely nothing. There is street parking on College Road opposite, which would be very secure during the day. At night there is a multi-story nearby, which has special night rates.

However, I did notice it is very pricey for what it is and you only get continental breakfast. You will be able to get a good Irish breakfast at Carrigan's pub down the road on the corner of High Street for about 6 euros. You could get a B&B with full Irish for around half the price, but the ones I would recommend are a little further out and you would need to use your car to get into town.

Take a look at Park Villa, http://www.kilkennybedandbreakfast.com/, a very well established and friendly B&B, or Mena House, http://www.menahousebandb.com/, both about a mile from the Centre. Also the Laurels, http://www.thelaurelskilkenny.com/,I don't know this one personally, but it looks good and is close to the centre. Many of the smaller B&Bs are closed for the winter, but these ones stay open. Slightly further out of town, ie outside the Ring Road, I would recommend Auburndale, http://www.auburndale.ie/, or Hillgrove, http://homepage.eircom.net/~hillgrove/

There are several large car-parks in Kilkenny, the cheapest being the Market Cross multi-story at one euro an hour. There are two large free carparks on the edge of the centre. Parking will only be a problem on Saturdays from 11.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. when it can become impossible to find a space. So I would say use this day to get out, or just visit the castle park and design centre, but not High Street, as you will even find getting around with the wheelchair could be a hassle.

Do use your car to get out into the country. Visit Thomastown and Inisitioge. From Inisitioge you can go to Woodstock Forest Park, which has a large car park from which you can take short walks with the wheelchair on the better (traffic-free) roads. I also recommend the Kilkenny Craft Trail. You can get brochures for this from your B&B or the Tourist Office. Other drives are to Graiguenamanagh, Kells, Freshford.

As far as I know, Smithwicks is not open to the public, but perhaps if you have a connection to Diageo, they might let you in!

Lots of good restaurants. Langtons on John Street is good for a good meal with children. Also Zuni, Pordylos, Cafe Sol, all do early bird menus, which are great value. For cafes Kilkenny Design Centre is very good (its upstairs but they have a lift).

4. Re: Butler Court House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 23, 2009