We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Visit

Indianapolis
3 posts
Save Topic
August Visit

My wifr and I will be on a tour which will be based in Kilkenny for 5 days. It will include the Rock of Cashel, walking tour of Kilkenny, Kilkenny Castle, Brod Tullaroan, Irish National Heritage Park, Waterford, Jerpoint Abbey, Dunbrody Famine Ship and Woodstock House. We have one free day and would appreciate suggestions on how to spend it. Would Powerscourt be too far to go?

Every other posting name seemed to be taken, so I entered some random characters :)

Larry

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Visit

Larry (phew, I am glad you gave your name, trying to type your screen name would just about break my fingers...!), Powerscourt would not be too far to visit but it would mean spending several hours in the car in order to get there and back to Kilkenny.

I see you're going to New Ross to see the Dunbrody. On your way you could take in St. Mullin's. This is an old ecclesiastical site above the river Barrow just off the R729 between New Ross and Graiguenamanagh. It is a lovely, tranquil place (hardly any tourists) and a walk along the river is very nice.

When going to Woodstock Gardens make sure to have a wander around Inistioge, it is such a pretty little village. You may have seen the film "Circle of Friends" based on the novel by the Irish author Maeve Binchy. Parts of it were filmed in Inistioge.

When you go to Jerpoint Abbey you could also visit Mount Juliet and the ruined priory in Kells.

2. Re: August Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:21 am, August 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kilkenny