We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle etc in Kilkenny

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Castle etc in Kilkenny

We are staying in the outskirts of Kilkenny and wanted to know if the castle there is worth a scheduled stop-in-and-see as we already think it will be a good idea to spend some time in Kilkenny town! Also, is there a charge to see the castle, and if so, do we need to reserve tickets or can we stop-in? If we can avoid long lines waiting for tickets that would be wonderful. How much time should be set asside to see the castle? I couldn't find an official Castle website. We do not want to feel a RUSH and would perfer to take our time seeing and experiencing the area calmly and we love being INFORMED. The town of Kilkenny seems delightful; should we tour-da-place by foot solo or in a group thing or a bus or something? After visiting the Castle, we will be in that area for dinner (yet we a light eaters so nothing too fancy, formal, expensive or overwhelming...just something good and reliable) and we wanted to visit a traditional pub with family entertainment or some live-theatre....any suggestions! Does anyone have experience regarding the night-life scene in Kilkenny? What time does the town close-down for the night on a Friday night! We hear the Design Center is a great place for locating those local charms and crafts, which is just what we want to do... the sites does not mention closing time? Thanks in advance.

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle etc in Kilkenny

Pegs,

We did the castle tour two weeks ago. It's beautiful, but musc of it is off limits. I would still recommend the tour. The castle can only be seen by guided tour. It was not particularly crowded, and inexpensive as I recall. The guided tour is nice because the very well informed guide can answer any questions and is very knowledgeable about the Buttlers history.

Go to Kilkenny, park your car in the big lot in town, and everything else is in walking distance. There is a really nice town shopping/eating area. And the castle and grounds are literally a few minutes walk from anywhere in town. The design center is across the street from the castle in what was at one time the stables. Have lunch there or in town, and there are a number of very good pub eateries in Kilkenny. Kilkenny was one of our favorite stops in Ireland.

Oh, and while you are there, have Kilkenny draft for me!!

Paul G.

Sicklerville, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle etc in Kilkenny

Ditto to everything Gulfstream had to say -- Kilkenny was our favorite stop!

The Castle is definitely worth the trip -- the tour really gives you a good history of the Butlers and of the town itself -- our guide was an unbelievable source of information. I believe the tour costs about 5euros.

From there work your way through the town -- Rothe House, St Mary's, the Black Abbey, St Canice's -- the town can be done on entirely foot.

On the outskirts of the town itself you'll find Bennetsbridge (great pottery), Jerpoint Abbey and Kells Priory -- Cashel, Cahir and even Waterford are only a short drive away.

Entertainmnet depends on when you are going and how late you are willing to stay up -- check with your B&B -- they'll probably be the best source.

One of our favorite pubs was Kytler's Inn -- great food, fun atmosphere and terrific music!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle etc in Kilkenny

If you go to the top of High Street to where it becomes Parliament Street there is a string of traditional pubs and also the Watergate Theatre which has a variety of entertainments. Avoid the pubs and hotels on John Street, particularly on a Friday and Saturday, they are for the incoming Hen and Stag parties (I think you call them bachelor and bachelorette). Many of the more upmarket restaurants do an "early bird menu", usually from 5.30 to 7, which is really good value. You could try Zuni, Cafe Sol, Fleda. Also Langtons, which is on John Street, but has a popular restaurant.

The Design Centre closes at 6.00.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle etc in Kilkenny

If you go to the top of High Street to where it becomes Parliament Street there is a string of traditional pubs and also the Watergate Theatre which has a variety of entertainments. Avoid the pubs and hotels on John Street, particularly on a Friday and Saturday, they are for the incoming Hen and Stag parties (I think you call them bachelor and bachelorette). Many of the more upmarket restaurants do an "early bird menu", usually from 5.30 to 7, which is really good value. You could try Zuni, Cafe Sol, Fleva. Also Langtons, which is on John Street, but has a popular restaurant.

The Design Centre closes at 6.00.

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle etc in Kilkenny

I too loved Kilkenny, (Alcantra B&B is the nicest I've ever stayed in) but was extremely disappointed that you weren't allowed to bring a camera or camcorder into the castle - they said it was for security reasons. When we visited Cahir Castle the year before there was no such restriction.

Sicklerville, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle etc in Kilkenny

LifetimeNY --

One of the reason for the ban on cameras in the castle is because of the all of the artwork and antiques -- it's part castle/ part museum.

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castle etc in Kilkenny

These responses were so great that I copied and pasted them into a print page that we will re-read upon our arrival in Kilkenny, next weekend. I know I will not remember it all and we have decided to travel without the laptop and be "carefree". Thank you to everyone for just being so respectfully informative and helpful. I love this forum! It is so exciting to travel yet it is somewhat stressful being in new places and not knowing your way, especially when it is so "different" from home. All this information is actually comforting and taking the negative unknown out of the adventure and yielding the positive with confidence. Paul G, I think I will have that Draft you mentioned. From the posting replies, I noticed that people from Jersey really like Kilkenny; as since I was born in Jersey...well, I have no doubt the same! I am so happy to get this type of info. I searched the web trying to find out stuff...and zap...one post.... and I even know the Design Center closes at 6...and so much more. Thanks Tons.

One more question: We are picking up another late arriving family member who is continuing on our Trip in Ireland. We will be going directly to the Dublin Airport and then heading over to Galway. How long does it "really" take to get by car, driving on the other side of the road, et al, to the Airport from Kilkenny? I figured, with the use of a web-based road trip calculator, 2 hours, but, I don't want to be late! Can anyone confirm this estimation?

Sicklerville, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castle etc in Kilkenny

Pegs,

We were able to make the trip from the Dublin area to Kilkenny in about 2 hours -- however -- that was in the "off season" and with my left-handed husband who LOVED driving on the "wrong side" (the directions on www.aaireland.com/routes were always pretty accurate)

You'll be hitting more tourist traffic and the roads in and around Dublin will probably be busier, so I'd suggest you leave yourself closer to 3 hours -- especially if you won't be too familiar with driving yet!

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Castle etc in Kilkenny

Took just about two hours fron Dublin to Kilkenny. I think that is avery reasonable estimate.

Paul G.

new jersey
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Castle etc in Kilkenny

Hi, Just got back from 2 weeks in Ireland. It's breathtaking!!

We loved Killkenny. The castle is worth the time and money. We purchased a Heritage Card for 21 euro. It gets you into hundreds of places all over Ireland go to a tourist information center ask to look at the booklet and see if it would be worth buying the card. It work for me.We atayed a Alcantra B&B. Bridget was a wonderful . She runs a very nice B&B you can walk to town . She told us to go to Marble City Bar for dinner. It was great. Nothing fancy we had the irish stew it was excellent.Try the Killkenny on draft. We really like it and didn't see it in any other pub once we left Killkenny.From Dublin Airport plan on 2 to 2 and a half hours to Killkenny. Have a great trip.