We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Ennis and before Dublin - Galway, Westport, Sligo?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
After Ennis and before Dublin - Galway, Westport, Sligo?

We are looking for some suggestions on where to go after Ennis and before we leave from Dublin. Our current plan is 4 nights in Dublin, 3 in Kilkenny, 3 in Kenmare and 3 in Ennis and 3 day/nights elsewhere. So our last three days will be somewhere after Ennis and before we head back to Dublin. Thanks. Love the forum. It sure makes planning so much the easier.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After Ennis and before Dublin - Galway, Westport, Sligo?

Go west of Galway to Connemara. It's not far from Ennis and the area is incredibly beautiful. Roundstone is one of my favourites in Connemara region. Spent a couple of nights in this area and a night back in Galway before returning to Dublin. It's amazing!!!

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After Ennis and before Dublin - Galway, Westport, Sligo?

Go west of Galway to Connemara. It's not far from Ennis and the area is incredibly beautiful. Roundstone is one of my favourites in Connemara region. Spent a couple of nights in this area and a night back in Galway before returning to Dublin. It's amazing!!! I would even spend less time in Ennis and more in Connemara!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After Ennis and before Dublin - Galway, Westport, Sligo?

If I were you I would cut the four nights in Dublin to two nights and spend one or two nights in Kilkenny, two nights in Ennis will give you plenty of time for the Burren area, two nights in Clifden for the Connemara region and two nights in Sligo to chill out before returning to Dublin.

Edited: 7:17 am, August 21, 2013
Hartford...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After Ennis and before Dublin - Galway, Westport, Sligo?

Thank you both, Connemara and Galway it is!

Cavan007,

Do you think we will be spending too much time at our other stops? We are pretty casual travelers. We weren't intending to see as much as we could in 2.5 weeks. Just wanted to see the lower half of Ireland this trip. But now I'm concerned that 3 days at each stop is 1 too many. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After Ennis and before Dublin - Galway, Westport, Sligo?

Assuming you'll lose the day going from place to place to travel and seeing some sights in between...

You won't have any trouble filling 3 full days in Dublin, although you will see the main sights in 2 days.

2 full days in Kilkenny sounds a bit much, although you could visit Waterford on one of them.

2 full days might not be enough in Kenmare. If you're using it as a base for the Ring of Kerry, Beara, and Killarney National Park, you might find that each of those deserves a full day.

2 full days is fine in Ennis. Spend one day going towards the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. On the other, go east to Lough Derg, Killaloe and possibly Limerick.

I would personally opt for Westport as my extra stop, but Connemara is lovely too.

Edited: 10:52 am, August 21, 2013
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After Ennis and before Dublin - Galway, Westport, Sligo?

Yes In my opinion you are. I would spend 3 nights in Dublin, a night in Kilkenny, I would go to Kenmare and Dingle in Co. Kerry. Why are you going to Ennis? Its not worth 2 nights there, there are far more beautiful places to stay in in Co. Clare. Continue up to Galway which is definitely worth 2 nights and then go west and drive through the Connemara region and head for either Westport or Clifden for a night or two.

7. Re: After Ennis and before Dublin - Galway, Westport, Sligo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 23, 2014