We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilkenny to Cork route

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu
1 post
Save Topic
Kilkenny to Cork route

We will be in Ireland in late September and have sketched out an itinerary for about a week ending up in Cork:

Dublin to Kilkenny via Glendalough, then to Shannon area, Dingle Peninsula, aand Kenmare/Kerry area. We fly out of Cork to Edinburgh on the 8th day. The best route is hard to determine, and nto sure if we re selecting the best areas. I guess there are lots of little rural roads. Any feedback would be helpful, also on moderate places to stay. If you come to Hawaii we'll return the favor!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilkenny to Cork route

One definite recommendation I can make from a very recent trip, is to definitely make a stop in Kenmare. It's a beautiful little town, very picturesque with plenty to do.

I can recommend Virginia's Guesthouse in Henry Street (above Mulcahy's restaurant). In June, it was 45 Euros each for a night's B&B, and the breakfast is worth it on its own!

The "Ring of Kerry" can get very busy but I was there in the last few days and it wasn't too bad though we did run into a fair few large coachloads of people. But late September should be reasonably quiet too. The Ring of Beara on the Beara Peninsula is another route to think about.

The roads are indeed fairly small and rural but perfectly fine - even the National road is regularly just one lane each way (watch out for some interesting overtaking by the locals!), and there were quite a lot of roadworks last week - they seem to be resurfacing a lot of the smaller roads. But it's easy to get round.

One hint - get the best map you can - we had one that was "Ireland - South" and a lot of the villages we saw signs to weren't even on our map.

Have a great time!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilkenny to Cork route

Aloha. It's not the quickest, but I'd go Cashel(Rock of Cashel), Cahir(Castle), The Vee via R668(beautiful) and then I guess down to Youghal and Cork. Cheers.

3. Re: Kilkenny to Cork route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 12, 2009