We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days In Ireland

San Francisco...
6 posts
Save Topic
9 Days In Ireland

My husband and I will be doing a Dublin -> Shannon road trip in May. Please check out our itinerary below (as well as some days where we don't have a plan yet) and let me know if you have any recommendations. This is our first time to Ireland (and our first time crossing the Atlantic) so any help is much appreciated! We are in our 20s and looking for fun pubs, live music, and overall an authentic Irish experience. If you think that there are any other great towns we should check out, please let me know! (And we will of course do the obvious must-sees like Cliffs of Moher, Guinness Factory, etc) Thank you!

Day 1: Land in Dublin. (Staying 2 nights in Temple Bar)

Day 2: Walk around Dublin

Day 3: Drive to Eniskerry. Stay one night

Day 4: Leave Eniskerry - Possibly go to Kilkenny and stay one night?

Day 5: Cork? Kinsale?

Day 6: Drive to Killarney and stay one night

Day 7: Drive to Galway, stay for 2 nights

Day 8: Check out Galway

Day 9: Fly out of Shannon

Edited: 12:25 pm, March 29, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
893 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days In Ireland

May I ask, Why Eniskerry?

If I was in my 20s again (wishful thinking) I would skip Killarney, can't personally see the attraction, just my opinion. I also can't see the attracton of the Guinness Factory, do you ever visit Sierra Nevada?

Dublin, Cork and offer plenty of attractions and things to see and do. Galway has pubs, two main streets and plenty of dogs on string. BUT it is the media darlng and therefore you simply must go.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days In Ireland

Which way to the Leprechaun Park and what time are they out and about? Is there a fee?

Love Guiness and Sierra Nevada, but brewery tours are deadly boring no matter the brand.

We often wonder why some come from abroad to the US to see some of the things they want to see on their mythology tick list. I guess it's everywhere. :-)

Edited: 1:29 pm, March 29, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days In Ireland

hbd: Opinion: For your first time in Ireland, you are likely to come away happy no matter where you go. Your itinerary will get you to lots sights and experiences. Cork is a great city. Kinsale is a small fishing village, so very different experiences. From our perspective, Killarney is a great "hub" for attractions like Ring of Kerry, Torq Waterfall, Gap of Dunloe, etc. and if it were us we would add time in Killarney...not necessarily for the town itself but for its location. We actually like the little rural town on Kenmare better. To each his/her own.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,743 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
3,055 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
San Francisco...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days In Ireland

Thank you for your tips! We are going to Eniskerry to stay at the Ritz-Carlton, because I get a free room each year from my work.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
893 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days In Ireland

Eddie, thousands of people go to Killarney every year, many make repeat visits. They can't all be wrong, so I'll accept that I may be out of step. There are indeed beautiful areas in the locale and I would also prefer Kenmare. I just think that there are better places for a couple in their 20s to visit.

PS The Guinness Factory is not a brewery tour, it's a museum and an overpriced tourist bar. If you want a brewery tour try here http://www.breweryhopsofireland.com/

Where ever ye go I'm sure ye'll enjoy it.

Just saw your post re Eniskerry, best reason to go and worth a detour.

Edited: 1:55 pm, March 29, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Days In Ireland

Kinsale could hardly be described as "a small fishing village." It's a well heeled town that seems to be full of tourists most of the time. Given a choice I'd stay nearly anywhere else in Cork, the city itself or somewhere in West Cork.

Killarney is as touristy as you make it. If you want to go plastic paddy, you can, but you can also make the most of a busy ,attractive town as a base.The attraction is the spectacular scenery of the national park and places like the Gap of Dunloe, Ross castle ,Torc, Muckross Abbey( under-visited and one of my favourite parts of the park, ) and so on. It's easy to find your own quiet space. You could hire bikes to get even further in to the park and away from crowds.

Cliffs of Moher, meh, way overcrowded and somewhat ruined by the visitor centre, bus parks and may well be invisible due to fog/mist.

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
3,055 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,381 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Muckross Abbey
Muckross Abbey
1,137 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Days In Ireland

I'm a relatively old man that has not realized it yet.

Agree that in my 20's Killarney would not be where I'd want to land -- Cork, Limerick...?

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Canada
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 Days In Ireland

Kinsale is a small village that has been hyped to the max to attract tour buses!. Sure there are some nice restaurants but how many times in a day do you need to eat? Took me about 1 hr to walk the streets and then I headed south as fast as a could.

To each his own I guess.

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
San Francisco...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 Days In Ireland

Thank you for the Brewery Tour tip! I'm looking at the website now and there are definitely some breweries that we will be putting on our list.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 Days In Ireland

Enniskerry is a lovely little country village set into woodland on a hillside with a river flowing at the end of the main street. And its just 15 miles from the center of Dublin. http://enniskerry.ie The Powerscourt Estate and waterfall are 'next door' http://www.powerscourt.ie Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICbgp_h76BU put together by one Terry Wogan from Limerick! [rub there at Lightblue7 :-)]

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
;