We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this possible?

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BAJ1020
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is this possible?

June 3rd:

Drive from Dublin to Kilkenny - 1.5 hours

Stay @ Alcantra (30-35E pps)

Rock of Cashel

Cahir Castle

Kilkenny Forest?

Kilkenny Castle?

Is this all possible in one day without being exhausted afterwards? Are there other things we should do in Kilkenny on our honeymoon? We only have 1 night for Kilkenny as of right now. Also, what do you think of staying at Alcantra? I think I have only read great things about Alcantra B&B on here.

Thanks so much! I am getting more and more excited as I start to finalize more of our trip. I couldn't do it without you all!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this possible?

Have I got this right, drive to Kilkenny, do everything on the list, stay overnight and then where?

You could certainly drive to Kilkenny and explore - there is much more than the castle, especially if you go just out of the city to Thomastown - Jerpoint Abbey, and several small villages with interesting craft and art studios if you are interested.

If you are heading west, you could look at Cashel and Cahir on your way, but it depends where you are going and what else you have planned.

While it would just about be possible to do everything on one day, it would be very rushed, and if you are going west there is not much point going to Cashel and then coming back to Kilkenny.

Kilkenny forest? Are you sure you are not thinking of Killarney forest park? While there are woods in Kilkenny, there is nothing that would be described as a forest.

Edited: 5:14 pm, February 28, 2010
BAJ1020
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this possible?

I apologize for being so vague. Here is the next 2 days' itinerary:

Friday:

Drive from Kilkenny to Killarney – 3 hours

Stay in Killarney @ Lake Hotel or Killarney Lodge

Killarney National Park

Muckross House

Ross Castle

Saturday:

Ring of Kerry

Skelligs Chocolate

Unfortunately, I am not sure what I meant by Kilkenny Forest. You are right, I probably did mean Killarney National Park which we would be doing the next day.

So it looks like we could easily do Kilkenny Castle and some other events on Thursday before driving to Killarney on Friday. On the way to Killarney, we could visit Rock of Cashel? Where would Cahir Castle fit into this? Sorry for so many questions. :) You all are a wealth of knowledge that I can't get elsewhere. Thank you sooo much! (Also feel free to comment on Lake Hotel versus Killarney Lodge.)

Edited: 6:00 pm, February 28, 2010
Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this possible?

Hello. Although in theory the driving times in Ireland are somewhat accurate estimates, it has been my experience that you should allow a liitle more time than estimated, allowing for farm tractors, trucks/slowpokes, construction, slowing down through the various towns you would pass through, etc. As to your doing all this driving in one day, 1.5 hrs to Kilkenny, at least another hour to Cahir, at least 1 hour to tour that fine castle, drive about 20 minutes to Cashel, allow at least another hour to visit the Rock of Cashel, and then drive at another hour back to Kilkenny. That would mean you would end up driving at least 4 hours. It would be 6 hours before you even settled into KIlkenny. I would suggest that you limit yourself to Cashel after checking into KIlkenny as it is closer to Kilkenny that Cahir. Then you would have plenty of time to have a nice visit in Kilkenny in the afternoon. I don't know where you are headed to next, but if it is west, you can always stop into Cahir to visit the castle. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this possible?

From Kilkenny drive to Cashel (turn off in Clonmel), Cahir is on you way to Killarney,sort of, as you drive the motorway from Cashel ,on your road to Killarney you will have to turn off to Cahir and see the castle and Swiss cottage. There is a lovely cafe just across from the castle, on the river bank, well worth seeing.

Though I love Skellig chocolate, the factory is just a tiny little unit, I don't know with all the driving you'll be doing if I'd drive off the main road down some narrow country roads just to see it. If you had lots of time, I'd say, go for it.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this possible?

I think something is going to have to give. You could drive to Kilkenny, look at the castle and walk up the town (maybe look at Rothe House) and have lunch, then drive to Cashel in the afternoon. Look around the Rock then drive on to Cahir and have a look at the castle there (you will be all castled out at this stage), and stop overnight in Cahir. Or stay in Cashel (more B&B choice I think) and have a quick look at Cahir on the way to Killarney on Friday.

I don't think you will have time to go to Swiss Cottage, though it is interesting and quite close.

On Friday afternoon you can explore Killarney - though I am pretty sure you will not get to see all you have listed. You might want to make a choice depending on the weather.

BAJ1020
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this possible?

Thank you all again so much for your help. I am not stuck on visiting all of these sites as these are ideas I have just gotten from the forum. At this point, I think we will drive from Dublin to Kilkenny to stay at Alcantra (unless you all have other suggestions). We will visit the Kilkenny Castle and any other attractions in Kilkenny. We will visit Rock of Cashel on the way to Killarney the next day if we have time. As suggested we will choose attractions in Killarney based upon weather and time. We do not have to see all of them. I will post a tentative itinerary below.

Tuesday, June 1st

Arrive in Dublin at 9:25am

Stay @ Trinity Capital

Guinness Storehouse

Wednesday, June 2nd

Stay in Dublin @ Trinity Capital

Jameson Distillary

Hop on Hop off Tour

Thursday, June 3rd

Drive from Dublin to Kilkenny - 1.5 hours

Stay @ Alcantra

Kilkenny Castle

Friday, June 4th

Drive from Kilkenny to Killarney – 3 hours

Choose based on weather and time:

Rock of Cashel

Killarney National Park

Muckross House

Ross Castle

Saturday, June 5th

Ring of Kerry

Sunday, June 6th

Drive from Killarney to Dingle – 1 hr 10 min

Stay @ Emlagh House

Dingle Peninsula

Monday, June 7th

Drive from Dingle to Doolin – 3 hours

Stay in Doolin @ Daly’s

Burren?

Tuesday, June 8th

Stay in Doolin @ Daly’s

Cliffs of Moher Cruise

Ferry to Aran Islands

Wednesday, June 9th

Drive from Doolin to Dromoland – 1 hour

Stay @ Dromoland Castle

Thursday, June 10th

Fly from Shannon to home – Depart 9:00am

Thanks!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this possible?

If you can stay in the Lake hotel, I suggest that you can, it really is on the lakeside and the location is stunning.

8. Re: Is this possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 29, 2010