We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have Limited Time - Please Advise

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Have Limited Time - Please Advise

Hi,

I will be aboard a cruise ship this summer, where we'll have a port of call in Dunmore East. I would love to see Kilkenny. I'm guessing the train from Waterford to Kilkenny would be scenic.

As far as I can tell, the afternoon trains will misconnect with my cruise's departure time, so for the train times available to me I would have less than 2 hours in Kilkenny. I would still have plenty of time left in Waterford & Dunmore East. Would this still be worth my effort?

Thanks for your input!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have Limited Time - Please Advise

Could you give us your actual times as it is difficult to know how to advise you. Do you have transport into Waterford, or would you have to get a taxi? If you were returning between about 5 and 6.30 you could get caught in traffic from the rail station up the Dunmore Road, which is notoriously slow at rush hour times.

The scenery on the train to Kilkenny is pleasant rolling farmland for the most part, not particularly dramatic but an interesting look at rural Ireland. When you arrive in Kilkenny you have about a 10 minute walk down into the town, approximately another 10 to 15 minutes at a guess to get to the castle and the design centre. Or you could go down the main street and see some of the medieval buildings. You would see a reasonable amount in 2 hours, though you would want to start back towards the station half an hour before your train as it is uphill all the way.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Have Limited Time - Please Advise

Thank you for your response! I would have transport into Waterford. I would actually be back into Waterford by 12:11 in the afternoon after the quick morning trip, leaving me about 4 hours to return to Dunmore East at my leisure. The Sunday afternoon trains just misconnect with my schedule.

Are there discounts for purchasing rail tickets in advance, or would it be alright to wait to purchase them at the station?

Do you think this short trip is worth my time?

3. Re: Have Limited Time - Please Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, December 06, 2009