We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilkenny with daughters

jhanson@usao.edu
Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Kilkenny with daughters

We will be travelling to Ireland in late May and want to divide our time between Dublin and Kilkenny. We would like to stay in Kilkenny for two nights and would rather stay in a B and B, if possible. The issue is with getting rooms for the three of us, in one room, if possible. Also, do we want to travel by rail or bus from Dublin to Kilkenny? We will not have a car and will need to be on foot in Kilkenny as much as possible. Any recommendations for best places to shop with two teen girls?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dallas
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilkenny with daughters

You will not have any problems getting around in Kilkenny without a car if you get a B&B close to town. My friends and I walked all over the town and saw Kilkenny Castle, St. Canice's Cathederal and other places of interest all on foot. I don't have details on shopping, but there are quite a few fun places to shop in town and walk around.

In Dublin, the Camden Deluxe (not Camden Court Hotel, just down the street) has affordable rooms, and I know they have a three-twin-bed room because I stayed in it. This hotel is great because it's within walking distances of many places plus is right in front of a bus stop.

have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny Castle
Kilkenny Castle
5,056 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dallas
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilkenny with daughters

I should say...get a B&B close to city center...instead of town.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilkenny with daughters

You can go by bus or rail, I would suggest rail. http://www.irishrail.ie/home/ You will need the Dublin-Waterford train.

The most usual 3 bed room is a double and a single in one room. Most places would have this available, but if you want a different arrangement you will have to enquire.

The city centre is very compact and most of the shops are pretty close together, including a decent sized mall (shopping centre here). Just explore all the little side streets and 'slips', but you don't have to go too far on any of them.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilkenny with daughters

The best shopping for teenage girls is in McDonagh Juntion shopping centre beside the station. Lots of fashion shops including River Island, Bennetton, TK Maxx, New Look, Barratts shoes, and more.

Teenagers love Penneys where they can get loads of bits for very little money. The stuff is cheap and cheerful, but they have some surprisingly stylish stuff for teen girls. Penneys is in the Market Cross shopping centre, along with Japan, Accessorise and Monsoon. There is also a Bay concession in Goods on High Street. As well as these there are also a lot of small shops along High Street.

You don't need a car for Kilkenny. You can walk everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kilkenny with daughters

Rail is best and quickest from Dublin.

Take plenty of money - food and drink is ridiculously expensive in Kilkenny.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kilkenny with daughters

It is a unfortunate that travellernice found food and drink expensive in Kilkenny when he/she visited. However, as someone who lives here I can assure any visitors that there are plenty of options for eating and drinking that won't break the bank and that Kilkenny compares very favourably with other Irish towns, UK and Europe for that matter. I and others frequently post on affordable options and would be happy to give advice whenever asked as a local.

Eating out is always an expensive option anyway, especially when you have to feed a family. I usually recommend visitors to go for the lunch or early bird option which is available in many Kilkenny restaurants.

There are a number of cafes also where you can get a great irish breakfast for around 8 euros, or filling homemade soup and brown bread for 4 euros.

Also Kilkenny is very well equipped with takeaways of all kinds.

Local favourites are Langtons for lunch - which is served all afernoon. Zuni and Ripleys for lunch or early bird. The Ground Floor cafe for wonderful freshly made filling panninis, wraps and sandwiches. Dunnes Stores restaurant and the Kilkenny Cafe for great deals on morning tea and coffee. And don't forget Mac's fast food stall on the Parade.

As for pubs - I don't usually go so will have to leave that to someone else to comment on.

Mentioned in this post
Zuni
Zuni
1,054 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Kilkenny Cafe
Kilkenny Cafe
15 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
7. Re: Kilkenny with daughters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kilkenny