We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gaelic sport matches info please

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
252 reviews
Save Topic
gaelic sport matches info please

Does anyone know of any GAA matches planned for 3rd August to 9th in or around the Thurles area?

I have tried the GAA website but can't figure out the fixtures info.

thanks

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gaelic sport matches info please

Unfortunately you are just one week late.

Last Sunday saw two spectacular games of hurling in Thurles, both of which were fought closely to the final whistle. From the rest of the season, all the big games are in Croke Park in Dublin.

The real grudge game on the cards takes place on Sunday August 9th between Cork and Kilkenny. With both teams aiming for their 31st All-Ireland title this year, it is sure to be a nailbiting clash. It is less than 2 hours from Thurles so I'd recommend the trip!!

There are also gaelic football games in Croke Park this Sunday (August 3).

Thurles may have some local club level games on, but the senior intercounty schedule has moved on. For club games you would be better asking on the Tipperary forum.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: gaelic sport matches info please

I also recommend the trip to Dublin for the hurling semi final but I actually think its on August 10th. Not sure if this suits you. You can get tickets soon on www.ticketmaster.ie

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gaelic sport matches info please

Correct it's on August 10th, thanks Irisheyes, sorry Toxic50. (semifinals are always on a Sunday)

That leaves you with the football on August 3rd also at Croke Park.

Defending all-Ireland champions Kerry play Monaghan at 4pm while Fermanagh face Kildare at 2pm.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gaelic sport matches info please

thanks for the info

would we need to buy the tickets in advance for the Croke park games or be likely to get tickets on the gate?

thanks again

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gaelic sport matches info please

There are usually plenty of tickets available on the day for semi-finals, but as irisheyes suggests it would be better to buy them in advance on ticketmaster.ie

I would highly recommend the game between Cork and Kilkenny, it should be a good one.

I was in Thurles last Sunday for the double header of quarter finals and it was a great day(apart from the result!!)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gaelic sport matches info please

It is possible, but not very likely, that a football game could take place in Thurles on the 9th. These fixtures will not be determined until this weekend. Some possible combinations from this weekends games and the draw might be suitable for Thurles, e.g. Cork/Kildare Dublin/Kerry

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: gaelic sport matches info please

Unfortunately the GAA would never send a Dublin match at this stage of the championship to Thurles. It would be Croke Park all the way when they know they can definitely sell 82,500 tickets as opposed to 55,000 in Thurles.

You can get tickets on the day OP but if you want to pick a particular section then ticketmaster might be the way to go.

Let us know how you get on.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: gaelic sport matches info please

I am not sure if you have made any plans yet or if you intend to go to the games at Croke Park next weekend or not.

Just to let you know that next Sunday 10th August will be a gaelic football and hurling double header as Cork are in both.

Cork v Kildare in the All-Ireland Football Quarter Final takes place at 2pm.

Cork v Kilkenny in the All-Ireland Hurling Semi Final takes place at 4pm.

Obviously the same ticket allows you watch both matches. As Cork are in both a large crowd will be there next weekend so I would definitely recommend booking tickets in advance on www.ticketmaster.ie

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gaelic sport matches info please

thanks all

we are back home now - getting ready to watch the GAA games on Setanta.

We saw a semi final hurling game that was held at Windgap during our visit. The Windgap folks were very very friendly (we stuck out a bit as tourists I guess!)

The game was brilliant!

We found ourself very near to the stadium at Limerick - but nothing was on duing our saty. We;d certianly hope to return to watch a game there!

10. Re: gaelic sport matches info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, October 07, 2009