We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland

Vassar, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland

My husband and I are thinking of visiting Ireland during November, December, or January. Was just wondering from others what the weather is like there at this time and if there are still things to do and see? I work for a company where I cant get time off at another time. We don't mind the cold since we are from Michigan but was hoping to visit without snow. Does Ireland get snow? Its it easy to drive around the country?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland

It's more than likely that you wouldn't get snow, but it can't be guaranteed. It also very much depends on where in the country you go.

In general, there is more snow the further north and east in the country you go. There are over 20 days of snow each winter in Ulster, yet in the very far south-west, it's rare to get snow at all (at least at sea-level in the mountains, it's a different story).

It's most likely you'll encounter one of two types of weather - wet, windy and relatively warm or cold, dry and still. The second is obviously more conducive to getting out and about.

At that time of year, it will be worth keeping an eye on what is open and having a fallback plan should you get a very wet day.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland

Also keep in mind that a lot (most) B&B's close over the winter but there are plenty of other lodging options available such as hotels.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland

Greetings Brandy 228,

Keep in mind, it gets dark very early in Ireland, here is a website that you can check daylight hours.

http://www.timebie.com/sun/dublinie.php

If this is the only time period you can visit Ireland, then come & enjoy.

I hope this helps.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland

By your standards it does not get really cold in Ireland, BUT we have a damp climate and that can make the cold seem more penetrating. Don't bring wool coats, quilted will be much more useful as they will keep off the rain/damp and still keep you warm. It can be windy and especially near the coast you will need woolly hats and gloves etc.

Vassar, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland

Just wanted to Thank everyone for their help. I dont mind winter(as ive said before were from Michigan) However I Hate driving in it. We visited London, and Paris in November and its was mildly cool there at that time as well. I will keep all of this in mind when Im searching. Im hoping that we will be able to go in November.

6. Re: Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 05, 2015