We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Vigil in Shannon

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Vigil in Shannon

Going to be touring from Cork to Shannon along the coast from April 15th to 19th. We fly out of Shannon Easter morning the 20th, so looking for a good B&B or hotel from which we can walk to Easter Vigil Sat night or early Sun Easter mass. Would like a relatively short ride to the airport in the a.m. for 11:00 flight Understand pubs and such will be closed on Good Friday, we'll likely spend that day seeing the Cliffs of Moher, towns along the way before heading back towards Shannon area. Would really like to spend Easter Saturday, the 19th in a small village - pubbing, listening to local music and either go to Easter Vigil that night or early mass in Shannon Easter morning before our 11:00 flights out.

Suggestions appreciated.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Vigil in Shannon

I might repost this in the County Clare forum verus Killarney where you posted...

I don't think you'll find Mass early enough to attend on Sunday and still make that 11:00 flight; you'd need to be at the airport by 8:30 or so if you're returning a car.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Vigil in Shannon

Ennis would be a good Option. The Old Ground hotel is alongside the Cathedral across the road anyway.

http://www.visitennis.com/

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Vigil in Shannon

There is a Dawn Mass in Our Lady of the Rosary Church on the Ennis Road each Easter Sunday morning. The actual mass is held in Russell Park on the North Circular Road.

There are three hotels nearby: The Strand (about 1/2 a mile closer to Limerick City), The Woodfield House which is about 5 minutes walk from the Church and 5 minutes walk from Russell Park and The Greenhills Hotel which is about 1.5 miles on the Airport side of the Church.

www.ourladyoftherosaryparishlimerick.ie/

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Vigil in Shannon

The Dawn Mass is a great idea, Bean.

There is also one held in Ennis, if you decide to stay in the town.

I went to it one year and it is really something special. It is held in the old Drumcliffe graveyard and the congregation move to different locations around the graveyard for different parts of the Mass.

They even serve hot drinks and snacks over a barrel of flaming embers, after the Mass:-)

ennisparish.com/reflection/jesus-is-risen/

Edited: 5:02 pm, February 24, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Vigil in Shannon

Bannergirl, the lovely thing about the Dawn Mass in Our Lady of the Rosary is, as you probably know, Russell Park is overlooking the River Shannon near Barrington's Pier so I can imagine how beautiful it is (we keep on saying we must attend a dawn mass and this one is an attractive proposition but somehow we never manage to make it out of bed!!).

There are teas and coffees as far as I know afterwards.

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
597 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Vigil in Shannon

Oh the dawn Mass sounds beautiful. I might need to plan for Easter in Limerick next year to attend! I've always wanted to go anyway as I'm a Fitzgerald and that part of my family - and my O'Brien family - originated there. I'm such a stereotype! Common as muck. I will definitely need to visit the area.

Back to dawn Mass - last year I was fortunate to attend a dawn Mass in the Garden of Gethsemane. Words just can't describe that experience.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Vigil in Shannon

Anne, that mass in Gethsemane must have been incredible.

Let us know if you are coming over and we'll do what we can to help you.

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
597 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter Vigil in Shannon

Thanks Bean - I certainly will!

I've already got holidays booked for Ireland this year for Co Donegal in March and Co Kerry in September, as well as a couple of other wee breaks elsewhere so unfortunately I don't think I can stretch my finances any further for now.

This forum has given me confidence that perhaps next year I can do my own thing rather than travel as part of a group - and perhaps I will stay a few days here and there. I might even combine Limerick with Co Westmeath.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter Vigil in Shannon

Very much appreciate everyone's input. We're likely going to try and book Fri and Sat nights in Ennis or somewhere near Shannon for easy access to Airport Sun a.m. and as a base camp location for and Sat travels. Would you suggest Ennis or other? Would love to spend our last night having a pint or two while listening to local music .

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter Vigil in Shannon

Ennis works for that