We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Dear TA experts, my husband and I are on vacation in Ireland now. We wish we do not have a rental car. Our vacation has turned out to be a test of our nerves and marriage. We have been in Ireland for 5 days. The only times we felt relaxed are when we took O'connour Bus tour to Dingle and ROK. Tomorrow we will be leaving Killarney and driving our rental car to Kilkenny to spend a night there. Can any one suggest a less nerve wrecking route for this stretch? We drove from Dublin via Cork to Killarney a few days ago. The stretch between Cork and Killarney is certainly not a breeze to drive. I am wondering whether We should drive to Kilkenny via Limerick. Is Killarney to Limerick a better route to drive? When should we be on the road in order to avoid heavy traffic? We really hate to slow down the traffic and have to constantly pull over. We have no idea how fast people drive in Ireland. We are so looking forward to going home. Vacationing in Ireland with a car has been a nightmare. Please help save our sanity. Thank you in advance.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

I haven't driven the Killarney/Cork route but other experts here have recommended it rather than the Killarney/Mallow/Fermoy route which I would not recommend if you are nervous.

There are good stretches of road towards Limerick but equally poor stretches though you pass through pretty Adare with its thatched roofs. If you do go that way you are going to have to go cross country somewhere to get to the M8.

Stick with Killarney/Cork

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Travelling via Limerick means about 43% of your journey is on motorway.

In defence of Irish drivers I should note that Irish roads are about 3 times safer than those in Mississippi.

Edited: 5:37 pm, October 29, 2013
Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Killarney to Limerick is a fairly straightforward drive. Leave Killarney after a leisurely breakfast, say 10 am. Then you'll miss the local traffic towards Tralee. At Farranfore, turn right at the end of the village. This junction can be busy but nobody is in a hurry and you're on holidays so relax. Adare is worth a stop. In the middle of the village, there is a small roundabout. Turn left and there is a car park on your right. I am the worst parker of cars and this is where I break the journey as there is lots of room. Have a look around the heritage centre there and stroll a little if the weather suits. The motorway begins outside Adare. Take the Tipperay exit and you are flying! Tune in to local radio or Lyric FM. Enjoy!

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Thank you all for coming to my rescue. I will take the Limerick route and break the trip in Adare as advised. But how about which roads to take to Kilkenny after Mitchelstown? Please advise. Thanks!

P.S. Please understand I do not mean to criticize the drivers here. It is us Not you situation.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

No need to go through Mitchelstown. Limerick - Tipperary - Cashel - Kilkenny. Go to http://www.theaa.ie/routes/#, key in From Limerick, To Kilkenny. Enjoy

Edited: 7:15 pm, October 29, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Oddly, if you propose a route from Adare to Kilkenny on the AA routeplanner it does not propose the Tipperary route above but one along the M7. I suggest this would be better for the OP if he wants an easy drive. They would be much the same time.

Perhaps someone has suggestions on the road conditions from the M7 to Kilkenny leaving the motorway somewhere between Roscrea and Portlaoise?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Sorry But. taking the N72 east is the most straight forward route between the two plus gives the option of stopping in Cahir and Cashel if you want. http://goo.gl/maps/B0IUG

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

I noticed that interesting route as well! I always take the Tipperary route so that's why I suggest it.

Parlin, NJ
Level Contributor
135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Are you trying to avoid the motorways or are you more comfortable driving them? Most of the roads we (my husband) drove were either motorways or N Roads. My husband didn't like some of the rural roads or roundabouts.

But regarding the motorway, just stay in the left lane and you will be fine. My husband drove with the flow of traffic and never above the speed limit and the entire time, I don't think anyone honked at us. They would drive around us on the rural roads or my husband would pull over for them.

Sorry this is so stressful for you. I'm suprised/shocked that our vacation wasn't like yours it is usually the norm with us. Enjoy Kilkenny, I know you will love it!

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Thank you all for posting your insights. We really prefer to drive on 4-lane motor way. N72 east is the most direct route and most recommended by all the map sites but I wonder if the road will be narrow and we face a lot of oncoming traffic. (We drive 35-40 miles per hour and will lead a long queue on the road if there are few pullover places.) We are leaving in the next two hours. Someone cares to comment? I am still waiting for your input... Thank you all of you.