We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

California, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

My husband and I are taking a bus and train in and out of killarney, but while we're there we'd like to see the Ring of Kerry, maybe by renting a car. Many of the car companies seem to either require driver to be 25, or will charge lots extra for "young driver fee." here are my questions:

Is it better to book a car now, or once we arrive in Killarney?

Any chance of getting the young driver fee waived, or will they check our age closely? we are 23 but married and expecting a baby.

Any other cheap ways to really see the Ring of Kerry? we only have a day (Killarney park the day before) and are trying to find under 30 per person. Are the bus tours very good?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

Bus tour is the best option. There are a few available straight from the town.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

Dont be temted to lie about your age, if you have a claim you will not be covered. Go on the bus tours, they are fine for you.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

as you have to provide a driing licence, you will be unable to disguise your age! I also recommend that you book in advance, that way you will disclose all the facts and by asking differing companies, you may just find one that would allow you to drive?

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,780 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

Basically if you have to ask whether it is better to book in advance or not means you haven't done enough research on this subject yet. It is likely that you can save far more than the young drivers fee by getting the best deal. It is easy to find discount codes for car hire, try airlines, credit cards etc., and get loyalty cards from the car hire firms. The best deals I have got were by booking through Ryanair. Car Trawler can save you money too, but read up on the comments on the forum. Don't forget insurances, if you don't take the supercover offered by the hire company you will need a credit card with enough credit to cover around EUR2000 in deposit.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

Agreed - do a bus tour from Killarney of the ROK, rather than the hassle and expense of car hire.

BTW - will you be comfortable travelling the ROK in your current maternity state? Something to consider.

Deros gets consistently good reviews, but there are other companies out there.

Did you research any tour companies yet. Deros is currently advertising on online rate of €19 for ROK tour which is well below your budget #SCORE

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,371 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

I can't add much to the above excellent information you are getting.

Don't even consider giving a wrong age as doing so will invalidate any insurance.

As an alternative to the Ring of Kerry, you could spend time in the gardens of Muckross House (free and absolutely beautiful), visit Torc Waterfall (free, bit of a climb but if you take it slowly it shouldn't be too hard - I've done it with anaemia), see the outside of Ross Castle, see Ross Island, and do some gentle walks in Knockreer Park.

How far along in your pregnancy will you be when you travel?

Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

We were in Killarney this summer and also travelled without a car due to son's age (23). We didn't tour the ROK, but took the Gap of Dunloe tour with Deros. We were very satisfied with their service.

They also offered a day trip to Dingle Penninsula which was using a smaller bus than the full sized bus loading for ROK.

I think you'll be happy to tour by bus and avoid the young driver surcharge, and at 19 euro as Bryno noted, you'll be getting a bargain!

California, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

I have done a fair few hours of research... but after hitting so many dead ends I thought i'd save more time by asking the expert opinions of others smarter than I. I've never rented a car before, but in my experience, there are some tourist things can be much cheaper booked in the country rather than online beforehand or through some agency (ESPECIALLY cruise excursions). didn't know if that might be the case here. Thanks all for the excellent info, we would not lie about our age if checked or asked, but would probably not have revealed it if not asked (good to know we would be). Thanks so much for all the info, we will probably take a bus tour. it will probably be much less stressful (and as you say, maybe safer) than driving, at least!

Edited: 12:28 am, September 16, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
40 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

There is a small airport in Kerry...but I agree with everyone above. Don't be tempted to lie about your age. Plus, renting a car in Ireland can be very expensive, you need time to get accustomed to driving on the right side, and that Ring of Kerry trip is 120km around. Leave the driving to someone else and set back and enjoy the views.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire in Killarney, age 23... Ring of kerry?

The bus tours are excellent. It's a great way for all to see the sites and not worry about the roads and people passing you out because you want to drive at a slower pace to see the sites; plus the locals who drive these buses are very informative. Enjoy your trip.

Get answers to your questions about Killarney