We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LA
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary

We are planning our first trip to Ireland arriving on Sept 8th three are 5 adults no children. I have been reading a lot on TA here is our tentative itinerary. We are very excited to visit Ireland and have heard so many positive points.

We are looking for any guidance you can offer. We plan on flying in and out of Shannon, and picking up a rental car there. Three of us plan on staying for 12-14 nights and 1 couple will be staying around 7-8 nights.

We were thinking of having a base in a few towns and taking some side trips. This is a tentative itinerary I came up with. Arrive Shannon in the morning, visit Bunratty along with castle and spend 1 night in Adare, drive to Killarney spend 3 nights. Take side trips each day to Mizen head and Beara Peninsula another day to Dingle Peninsula. We may not visit Ring of Kerry this trip if time is limited.

Possible spend 1 night on the Dingle Peninsula. Drive to Doolin for 2 night stay visiting the Cliffs of Moher and possibly the Aran Islands. Drive to Ennis stay 1 night and drop the couple off at Shannon airport. Or is there a bus from Doolim to the aiport? Then 3 of us would drive to Galway for 2 nights and Connemara for 2 nights. Drive closer to Shannon airport and stay in Ennis 1 night and fly out the next day.

Any suggestions or help with this itinerary would be greatly appreciated!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary

While a night in Dingle is always worthwhile in my opinion, you could also do it as day trip from Killarney if you are based there for a number of nights

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary

There is no bus from Doolin to Shannon Airport. They would need to get the bus to Ennis and then change for a bus to Shannon. It would not be the most convenient way for them.

As you are going to Ennis on your final night, why not consider heading to Galway after Doolin, which would save a lot of backtracking. The bus service from Galway to Shannon is hourly and your friends could have a night in Galway before heading to the airport(unless they have an early flight.)

www.buseireann.ie

County Kerry...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary

You could visit Dingle as part of a day trip no problem, but personally I wouldn't hesitate in spending a night in that general area. The place has its own feel and it's worth spending that bit of extra time there.

Leenane in Connemara is a fine spot overlooking a fjord, some of the movie The Field was filmed there, and it's just a short drive from Kylemore Abbey which is also worth a look.

LA
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary

Thank you all for your input. There has been some changes to our itinerary since I last posted. There are 3 of us taking the trip for 12-14 days. We are arriving on Sept 22nd and staying 12-14 nights. Here is our itinerary if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. We want to make sure we are seeing the most of the West/southwest of Ireland that we can without too much backtracking.

1 night Adare, 3 nights Killarney, 1 night Dingle, Doolin 2 nights, Galway 2 nights, Clifden 2 nights, Ennis 1 night and fly out the next day from Shannon.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary

I think your itinerary is great and you have picked some good bases from which you can see more of the areas. I assume you have chosen Adare to shake off the jetlag and it is a nice little place to stroll around and chill out. However, if you were more interested in exploring on your first day, I would be inclined to stay in Limerick. You could visit King John's Castle, St Mary's Cathedral and the Hunt Museum if you are interested in history.

http://www.shannonheritage.com/

http://www.huntmuseum.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary

How far is Portmagee from Dingle?in kms and time.Is there any bridge to cross and make distance shorter?thank you,

Susana

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary

70 miles by car 15 miles by boat,

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary

Thank you very much.Please can you let me know where to take the ferry from Portmagee towards Dingle,and then how long will it take us from Dingle to Clifton? is there also a ferry ,and where to take it.

Your information is helping us very much .

Best regards,

Susanamig

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary

There is no ferry between Portmagee and Dingle, it has been discontinued. It was for foot passengers only, so its viability was always limited. The only option is to drive; a minimum 2.5 hours.

There is no ferry connection between Dingle and Clifden, although there is a short ferry crossing on the Shannon en route. I would it would be a five hour drive from Dingle to Clifden taking the quickest route via the Limerick tunnel, but you would miss a lot on the way

Edited: 4:35 am, June 24, 2013
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with itinerary

You might want to start a new question of your own with your own itinerary. Google maps will let you plan To/From points...Some locations are Not touring bases. https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl