We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jaunting car ride/Killarney

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
jaunting car ride/Killarney

I've seen in my Frommer's guide that you can take a jaunting car ride around Killarney National Park. I've seen other posts since which tell about taking a jaunting car ride from one location to another as well. Is is sort of a fun option to a taxi? If we would like to merely take one around the Park, where is the best place to catch one? Do you need to book ahead? What is the cost? Are there long waits to get one?

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jaunting car ride/Killarney

The best place to catch one is from outside the International hotel in Killarney centre. Its just opposite the park, the plaza and the park hotel and the cinema. You miss them or the smell from the horses.

Usually they will bring you to Muckross house for around €20. These people need to be haggled with. They will smell Americans coming(over the smell of the horses, or is it them) and try to sell you the trip on a higher price.

They are not regulated by any authority other than the ISPCA so make sure you agree a price beforehand.

They will bring you to the entrance of muckross house and you can walk the rest of the way unless you want to agree another price.

Its up to you. Its either that or a taxi but thats boring if you can take a jaunting car.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jaunting car ride/Killarney

Oh yeah, there an no queues. Its usually too expensive for most people so they dont bother. €20 is only one way.

No booking ahead. These people dont have websites or laptop computers. Jaunting car, horse and blanket is all the have.

illinois
Level Contributor
177 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jaunting car ride/Killarney

Suggest doing a Trip Advisor Search for 'jaunting car killarney" and see what pops up for additional info beyond the great advice that you will get here.

Also, the Gap of Dunloe tours out of Downtown Killarney are great family fare.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jaunting car ride/Killarney

Hi. Another option is to drive to Kate Kearney's Cottage and tyake one through The Gap of Dunloe. The turn off for there is on the N72 in Beaufort, about half way between Killarney and Kilorglin. Cheers.

USA
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jaunting car ride/Killarney

Hey Borus...You answered this post a few days back with "drive to Kate's cottage and take a jaunting cart from there." Good idea? We'll have a rental..but how much are we missing by driving to the cottage and is that drive ok..as cars go? Thanks.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jaunting car ride/Killarney

oswegonian, i think the jaunting carts are a must...i have been to killarney 6 times and i take a ride every single time...

the cost for the national park and muckcross house isn't each way, we have always paid one price about E20 for either the park or muckcross house and to be brought back....it is well worth the price as the drivers are comedians in their own minds and very entertaining....then we get off and have a good meal at harrigans just across the street from where they congregate.....

it's vacation and we are supposed to spend money to have a good time, so go for it!....

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jaunting car ride/Killarney

Hi. I've been on those jaunting cars a few times through the years. I think the next time I'll go with Deros tours to check it out. With them, they drive you to Kate Kearney's, you take the jaunting car through the Gap and then take a boat on the lake to Ross Castle. Snookowl-One suggestion if you're staying in the area for a few days is to drive up past Ladie's View(wow). You get to the handweavers and then see a turnoff on the right to the Black Valley. That'll lead you through the Gap in the other direction. It's a bit of a scary drive, but worth it. At the difficult part through the Gap, look off in the distance. If you see a car coming, just pull in and wait for them to pass. Enjoy.

USA
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jaunting car ride/Killarney

Ah.... you folks are the best. On practically no other country forums, but for the ones in Ireland, are people so happy to help and offer so much information. If you are representative of most of the citizens of Ireland, I know we'll have a great time visiting in July.

Thanks.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jaunting car ride/Killarney

Someone said about 20 euros for the ride. Is that per person or for the wagon full?

THanks,

Sandy

10. Re: jaunting car ride/Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:07 am, February 25, 2008