We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Killarney

Nashville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Killarney

My husband and I will be in Killarney with our 16 and 19 year old grandchildren in June. Which would be better to drive - the Dingle Peninsula or the Ring of Kerry?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,439 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Killarney

that's a tough question...both are gorgeous and so very different...how long will you be in the area?....will you be staying in dingle or killarney at night?....where will you have come from and where will you be headed afterward?.....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,129 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Killarney

Do you plan to drive or take a bus tour?

Nashville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Killarney

We will have our own car and are staying at Lochlein Country House in Killarney. We have 10 days and seeing and doing a variety of hikes, sights, etc. I've read so much about both and wondered if we should pick one or do both.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Killarney

If you can do both, do. They are very different and both wonderful.

When driving the Ring try to go "off" the Ring and visit some of the following places:

Rossbeigh Beach

Valentia Island (accessible via bridge at Portmagee)

Skelligs Chocolates www.skelligschocolate.com

Derrynane House and Tropical Gardens and Derrynane Beach heritageireland.ie/en/…

Nashville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Killarney

Thanks for the "offsite" tips. We are planning on doing that. I looked up your suggestion of Skellig Chocolates and I'm already salivating... Any other "must sees" on either of the drives would be much appreciated.

On another note - we plan on doing some hiking as well. Of course we will do the major ones in the park and the Gap of Dunloe. But I've also run across some others and would love to get some feedback: Druid's Loops and Glanageenty Loop. Any knowledge? (Just looking for moderate experiences that are really "Ireland")

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,129 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Killarney

Slightly off the main Slea Head drive at Dingle:

Ogham stones at Coláiste Íde- former home of Lord Ventry

www.megalithicireland.com/Colaiste%20Ide.htm

And as you leave the college grounds turn left for Holdens Leather Goods

www.holdenleathergoods.com/hlg/index.php

Rathinnane castle near Ventry. Built inside a much older fort and said to have the blood of the murdered locals mixed in its mortar .

http://www.dodingle.com/Heritage/castles.html

Another often missed gem is the school building built especially for the Ryan's Daughter film, perched on the edge of the ocean overlooking the Blaskets.

in70mm.com/news/…story.htm

To find it, after you pass the entrance to the Blasket interpretative centre continue on the road towards Ballyferriter, a few hundred yards up the road, the road winds to the right, but there is a lane to the left. Park down the-without blocking gates and walk towards the water's edge- the schoolhouse will be on your right.

There is also a holy well here, dedicated to St Gobnait

With a "Bust by Cliodhna Cussen marking the holy well, Tober Ghobnait, Cill Ghobnait, Dún Chaoin. The site is in the townland of Ceathrú an Fheirtéaraigh (Ferriter's Quarter). "

westkerrymuseum.com/bearla/earlymedievalgall…

Another day trip from Killarney, very much off the beaten track is near Rathmore. There's a beautiful hike between the two mountains too.

www.voicesfromthedawn.com/city-and-the-paps/

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Killarney

I think "must-sees" are very personal.

However for the Dingle Peninsula, if you are doing the Slea Head drive, then apart from Slea Head etc, the cove at Clothar is beautiful. Its near Louis Mulcahy's shop in Ballyferriter. If the coast is on your left, then Clothar is about 50 yards beyond Louis Mulcahy's - you take a road to the left and drive down for about a minute. DO NOT attempt to swim there as the water is extremely dangerous. But it is spectacularly beautiful - look out for the blow holes to the left.

Also Murphy's Ice Cream and Dingle Crystal in Dingle.

In terms of hiking - I'm not an expert or even any way knowledgeable about the area. However the site below is very good for hiking trails:

http://www.irishtrails.ie/trails.aspx?c=Kerry

If you click on the trail you will get an information page, then click on the map details and it should give you a map for the trail.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Killarney

Have you thought about a trip to Skellig Michael? The trip is very weather dependent, but with 10 days in Killarney, you would have a good chance of the boats making the trip. It was a highlight of our trip with teens last April!

Below is a link to my review:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186610-d618…

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,439 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Killarney

gosh if you have ten days in the area, do both by all means....

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Killarney

On the ring of kerry stop for lunch in Waterville at the Butlerarms.com / hotel

Its were Charlie Chaplin spent his summer holidays in

the 70's for almost 10 years straight he loved it

see the photos in the hotel lobby.

enjoy.