We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
568 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

From anyone who is familiar with the roads and drive times: Is a drive from Kinsale (leaving after breakfast) with a day circling the Beara Peninsula (with a stop at the cable car), and ultimately aiming to get to Killarney before too late at night realistic or a pipe dream? AA travel planner suggests it will be about 5-6 hours of drive time. When I drill down in satellite view it looks like many of the roads are two lane divided roads. But I hate to be halfway through the day before I realize that we're never going to make it to Killarney by bedtime. P.S., I already have rooms on the night in question reserved in Killarney...

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,371 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

The Beara Peninsula will take a full day.

But your route is a lovely route. And if you get up early you can do it.

What time of the year will you be driving?

My suggestion would be to get on the road by 9am. Its 67 miles to Glengarriff. Make that your first stop. It should take you about 2 hours to get there. So we're talking 11.15 or so. Take a walk around the town, stretch your legs.

Then head towards Castletownbeare and Bearhaven. Its another 35 miles or so. This will take the bones of an hour. So you're talking 12.30.

Then leave the area at about 4.30, it should take you another hour to get to Kenmare and another hour to get to Killarney. So we're talking about 6.30.

If you're happy doing this then do it. You will spend a lot of time in the car but you will see some incredible scenery.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

Yes, you can do it. What I suggest that if the day is particularly good, e.g.good clear skies and dry, then definitely go for it. If the weather is wet dull and misty, you might be better off skipping Beara and heading straight for Killarney where you can enjoy Muckross House, Gardens, Lakes and Waterfall.

The reason I say this is that any of our beautiful coastal routes are not so great when visibility is down.

Stopping at the cable car will literally be a photo opportunity stop. You will not have time to take a trip in the car to the island and back, however stopping here will give you uninterupted views of Dursey Island and Dursey Sound.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

Beara is a great peninsula far better than another far more popular spur. I would say 8 hours to drive and explore, definitely take the Healy Pass one way or the other.

Unfortunately the morons running TA have done away with the Beara forum so i have to search for this great link using another forum.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g775193-i20379-k459…

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

Thanks you all so much for your advice. We will be traveling in early June. In fact the day in question is June 7. I do appreciate the reminder re: weather. If it is going to be a bad-weather day we will proceed directly to Killarney. We already have two days scheduled on the Dingle Peninsula, so we will have other "peninsula drive opportunities" if we have to miss Beara.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

One other question I forgot to ask. I calculated times from Kinsale to Glengariff in two ways. One was the route automatically produced by AA, and the other was a route I "forced" by requiring a "via" through Skibbereen. The latter runs closer to the coast all the way, and is on a green "N road" much of the way, while the AA recommended route is on "yellow roads". Finally, my route through Skibbereen was only about 10 minutes longer....Which of these two routes would you experts recommend? Thanks again!!!

Edited: 9:53 am, January 25, 2013
Seattle
Level Contributor
212 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

Tony, thank you for that link! I am adding it to my info for my trip in May.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

a piggy-back question if you don't mind Neurorad... and thanks to all for the answers so far esp. that link Tony!

Does this trip take roughly the same amount of time if one is starting and ending in Kinsale? It's a trip I want to do, and we will be in Kinsale for 3 nights. I'm hoping that at least one of the days is bright enough to warrant the trip. Our 'last chance' to see Beara would be the day we depart Kinsale for Killarney, as Neurorad is planning, but I'd like to know if its' reasonable to do as a round trip from Kinsale as well.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,371 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

It will take longer if you use Kinsale as a start and end point.

Take a look at this route planner routes.aaireland.ie and use it to work out your timings

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

yes Bean I see you're right, it adds about an hour of pure driving time (so really probably 1 1/2 hours longer). Well, we'll have to see where the weather and our moods take us! Maybe would consider hiring a driver for the day trip if we're tired of driving at that point.

thanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,371 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A realistic day trip or not? Kinsale to Killarney via Beara.

The whole of West Cork is beautiful though.

I'm not a fan of Kinsale but you are within driving distance of some lovely towns. I'm a big fan of Clonakilty and nearby Timoleague.

Get answers to your questions about Killarney