We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of kerry. OR .gap of dunloe

Brookeville
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ring of kerry. OR .gap of dunloe

If we start early in the morning and want to do a driving tour on our own is there a reccomended route that is failsafe where we can see the rok OR gap of dunloe We have to be back in killarney for a 6pm concert which means really back by 5 to get ready. where can i find a specific map outlining the driving route.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ring of kerry. OR .gap of dunloe

You will get a Map and all the directions from the Tourist Information shop Beech Rd at the Carpark end.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,168 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ring of kerry. OR .gap of dunloe

Peter, the Gap is a half day trip, the Ring a full day trip. You need a 3/4 day trip!!

If you want to see some of the Ring of Kerry, then you might consider the following route (marked on the OSI atlas). Or you can find it on routes.aaireland.ie

Killarney-Killorglin-Glenbeigh-Rossbeigh Beach-back to Glenbeigh-Cahersiveen-St. Finian's Bay (follow the signs for Skelligs Chocolates)-Ballinskelligs Bay-to just before Waterville. You will come to a church with 3 roads to the left. Take the one that says Ballaghisheen. Drive up and through the pass (stay on the main road and you won't get lost) then follow the signs for Glencar and Killarney.

Ballaghisheen and Glencar are beautiful and off the beaten track.

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ring of kerry. OR .gap of dunloe

Yes I agree both bean a, go as far as Waterville and return via the ballac pass

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,713 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ring of kerry. OR .gap of dunloe

Driving the Gap is hairy enough. Had to rescue two panicking tourists this year who lost nerve driving up and were too terrified to try to turn the car. I'd prefer to do the Ring of the two but set off early and take in as many sites as you can.

Edited: 6:02 pm, December 12, 2012
Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ring of kerry. OR .gap of dunloe

I'd go with the Ring of Kerry! A full day trip fine, just go early enough say leaving Killarney around 9am! Personally i'd rather continue the ring rather than turn off in Waterville as the scenery between WEaterville and Caherdaniel is simply worth the trip alone. Then head for Sneem and return to Killarney by turning left for Molls Gap and avoid Kenmare totally!

There are some great places to eat along the way. I thoroughly recommend a slight detour outside Cahersiveen to Portmagee, voted Tourist Town of the year i think. Head for the Moorning's and bridge Bar. The food there is stunning and the highlight of our annual Ring of Kerry trip!! Or the sneem Hotel in Sneem, stunning grub!

As i mentioned avoid Kenmare. It's ok but nothing outstanding. Turn left at the Centra in sneem and take the scenic route (and shorter route) home passing through the stunning scenery that makes this trip so awesome!

Brookeville
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ring of kerry. OR .gap of dunloe

Thank you so much

7. Re: Ring of kerry. OR .gap of dunloe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 22, 2013