We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girl's trip to Ireland

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
work
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Girl's trip to Ireland

We are starting to plan a girl's trip to Ireland for June 2013. Our plans are to stay 10 days and first, we'd love to know fun places to go to that also take in the beauty of Ireland. Secondly, recommendations of getting a driver for our trip.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girl's trip to Ireland

Getting a driver will be enormously expensive. How many girls and what age range?What is your idea of fun?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girl's trip to Ireland

girl's trip is one girl.

girls' trip would be several. ;-)

work
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girl's trip to Ireland

There are 5 of us in our 50's~all very active and fun-loving.

work
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girl's trip to Ireland

mea culpa, girls' trip. now, do you have any advice?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girl's trip to Ireland

For five of you for 10 days a driver will cost you quite a bit, and accommodation would need to be booked in advance as you will need 2 or 3 rooms.

I would suggest three days in Dublin and then perhaps rent a cottage in Killarney or Galway for a week and do day trips out from there. You could perhaps fly into Dublin and out from Shannon.

Even hiring a car and driving yourselves would be tricky as you would need either two cars or an MPV.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,291 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girl's trip to Ireland

A Toyota Avensis Saloon or a VW Passat would transport 5 ladies (or gentlemen) comfortably.

So I don't think you'd need two cars or a people carrier.

But I do think you need to rethink the issue of a driver. It will be prohibitively expensive.

Regarding the concept of "fun". You need to define or clarify. Fun means different things to different people. My husband's idea of fun includes visiting a military museum. My idea of fun includes sitting by a lake skimming stones across the water. (Obviously both of us have other interests as well :o)) ) But I'm not sure if either of these is on your list!!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
853 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girl's trip to Ireland

Now that the spelling and grammar lessons have finished you might like some help.

I would hire a car. A Ford Galaxy MPV is approx €1,000 for 10 days in June from Hertz. Split 5 ways this is a fairly cheap option.

If you fly into Dublin and spent some time there, do not rent a car when you arrive. You wll not want / need a car in Dublin.

From Dublin I would suggest 2 options. Use this link for planning your route http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/

1/ Drive to Ballyvaughan in Co.Clare. Rent a cottage. From here you can visit the Cliffs of Moher, Galway, The Burren, Connmara, Doolin, The Arran Islands etc etc. You will have a base and there are nice bars and restaurants for the evening time.

2/ Drive to Kilarney. Personally I can't stand the place but millions of others can't be wrong, (can they?) Kilarney is stage Irish from the set of Darby O'Gill but it does have great natural beauty. Muckross Hse, The Lakes, The National Park, Kenmare, etc etc all on your door step.

Whatever you choose, enjoy.

Edited: 5:33 am, June 17, 2012
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,695 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girl's trip to Ireland

Lightblue, if the lessons have ended does that mean I can't point out you've spelled "Killarney" "Connemara" and "Arran" all incorrectly? (sorry, couldn't resist!)

"lily", since your trip is a year off, I would spend some time figuring out which parts of Ireland you might be interested in. You can get cheap used guidebooks at used bookstores; they don't need to be current.

Have the group over, break out the wine, and have a look through a few things.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
853 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girl's trip to Ireland

Irishfan you are of course correct, mea culpa. The spelling and grammar police will welcome you with open arms. I shall strive to be more like you.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,695 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girl's trip to Ireland

Actually, it's IrishFan, not Irishfan. :)