We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is a must see in Killarney?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
What is a must see in Killarney?

My husband and I are traveling through southern Ireland for 8 days in September. We have limited time, but would like to see what we can see in Killarney in two days. On our list as possibilities are:

Ross Castle

Muckross house

Pub crawl in Killarney Town

Drive dingle peninsula

Can you tell us what else we should be doing/seeing? We are fast paced travelers, who can take in a lot in one day, but also like to stop for a pint and relax. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,342 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Rozzers Restaurant
$$$$, Irish, European, Contemporary
Celtic Whiskey Bar & Larder
$$ - $$$, Irish, Bar, European
Bricin Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Irish, European
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is a must see in Killarney?

Where are you going from Killarney?

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is a must see in Killarney?

We have not fulled hashed that out yet, but likely towards the Cliffs of Mohr, then Galway or Limerick before we depart from Shannon.

Another question- how long does it take to drive the Dingle Peninsula?

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
The Dingle Peninsula
The Dingle Peninsula
681 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is a must see in Killarney?

You need a full day to drive around Dingle Peninsula if you want to stop and take in the sights/sites; the town itself is about 1hrs drive from Killarney, then beyond Dingle town lies Slea Head:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19068-Best_o…

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19854-Dingle…

flickr.com/photos/…

For me, Ross Castle, Muckross House and Gardens and a leisurely lunch somewhere would be enough to cover in a day - but then I'm a sloooow traveller!

Mentioned in this post
Dingle Peninsula
Dingle Peninsula
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,342 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is a must see in Killarney?

I believe the Tour bus leaves Dingle town and returns 4 hours later. You could spend a week on the peninsular and just about everything but it is possible to see the top sights, Slea Head and Connor Pass as you travel from Killarney to somewhere North of Listowel

If I had a must see in Killarney it would be the Cathedral followed by a pint and the craic in Connors. Tattler Jacks is another mix local bar or catch the tour coach crowd in the Danny Mann bar of the Eviston.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is a must see in Killarney?

I/we enjoyed Ross Castle late one afternoon in Killarney. I also saw that they have a boat trip (departing at Ross Castle) over to the island of Inisfallen in Lough Leane, which seemed interesting but we did not do it. Maybe someone more familiar with that can speak as to whether or not it's worth your time/effort.

Edited: 1:49 pm, May 30, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,342 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Lough Leane
Lough Leane
98 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
614 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is a must see in Killarney?

I don't know what sort of activities you like, but I love The Gap of Dunloe. If you are up for hiking, it is about a six mile hike. You can book a tour through Deros Tours that will take youto the Gap. You can walk or take a jaunting car through...I prefer to walk. You can bring your lunch or purchase something to eat at Lord Brenden's (don't let the name fool you, it's casual.) then the tour continues in small open boats which take you through the Upper, Middle, and Lower Lakes. You will end up at Ross Castle, and you should have time to spare to catch a tour of the castle. That means not taking the bus back with the rest of the group, but you build up a good thirst by walking back to town for your pub crawel....anyway, lovely way to spend the day. You can get some great food to take with you at Jams. And be sure to have some Murphy"s ice cream if you get the chance.

Mentioned in this post
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
3,006 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,342 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Murphy's Bar
Murphy's Bar
1,278 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
7. Re: What is a must see in Killarney?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 am, June 21, 2013