We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cork to Killarney

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Royal, South...
12 posts
Save Topic
Cork to Killarney

Hi all.

My wife and I will be traveling from Cork to Killarney this summer. We will travel by car and have only one day to spend in the region. Thus, does anyone have any itenerary recommendations for this route? We enjoy nature, walking, but also want to experience culture and history. (Note: We intend to spend the next day driving the Ring of Kerry.)

Further questions:

- Should we bypass earlier parts of the drive so that we can have more time to spend on the Sheep's Head Peninsula, Beara Ring, or Killarney National Park?

- Which peninsula do you prefer for short walks and driving, Beara or Sheep's Head?

- Any recommendations along the southwest coast?

Thanks, in advance, for your recommendations. They are sincerely appreciated.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cork to Killarney

Cork to Killarney only takes about 90 minutes to drive. There's not a huge amount on the direct route to stop for. Kilcrea Friary is just west of Ballincolig and St Gobnait's House and Well are slightly off the road in Ballyvourney, but I'm not sure either are of much interest beyond locals.

If you've got the whole day, there are a couple of more interesting alternatives.

The first is to go via Gougane Barra on to Glengarriff and to then see a good portion of the Beara peninsular. The second is to take a completely coastal route through Clonakilty, Skibbereen, Bantry etc.

In terms of your questions, I'd prefer Sheep's Head for walking and Beara for driving. Beara has some fantastic walking, but if you're only there for a day, the scale will be too great.

Recommendations?

- Pretty coastal villages - Courtmacsherry, Glandore, Baltimore, Schull

- Things to see - the Italian Gardens on Garinish Island, drive to the top of Mount Gabriel, Derreen Gardens, Allihies Copper Mines (don't worry, they are long since abandoned)

- Archaelogical and religious sites - Gougane Barra, Timoleague Abbey, Drombeg Stone Circle, Kinneigh Round Tower.

2. Re: Cork to Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 am, June 21, 2013