We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

treasure hunt game help

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
347 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
treasure hunt game help

I am sure that lots of people have done this before, but I am looking for some help in setting up a treasure hunt kind of game for our group. First requirement would be that it would be safe, I don't want any of the kids getting lost or hurt. ( they range in age from 13 to 18 ) and the second requirement is that it would be educational, and last but not least fun!

From what I understand, Killarney is small enough and safe enough for something like this. If they are in groups with at least a sixteen year-old and stick to the touristy part of town?

The purpose of the game would be to get them to learn about the place we are at the people that live there, without driving anybody there too crazy. I also plan on getting the old guys doing it too. I figure that they should make up for their lack of speed with their experience.

some things i could use would be...

Irish sayings or words that they would not know.

clues to find points of interest in town where they would have to get someone to take a picture of all of them there.

Some history that they would have to do some research to find out some answers about.

a food that they might not of heard of that they would have to purchase bring to us and consume.

a special person in town that they would have to meet ,ask a question of, and would not mind having their picture taken.

(Any volunteers?)

any other ideas would be apreciated. I always think that they best way to learn something is to make it fun. thanks again

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: treasure hunt game help

Hi travelmom. Tell them to bring back some craic and some black pudding. Lol. I'm rushing, but I'll be thinking about it. Cheers.

Calgary AB
Level Contributor
347 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: treasure hunt game help

Thanks Boru, but you are going to have to tell ME what that is so I will know it when I see it :-P

Calgary AB
Level Contributor
347 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: treasure hunt game help

looked up black pudding, yuck

Calgary AB
Level Contributor
347 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: treasure hunt game help

and how would they bring back Craic?

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: treasure hunt game help

Fun stories and memories of their hunt. Don't tell them that though. Black pudding is disgusting sounding, but is delicious and you will be offered it for breakfast. Some people will only venture so far as the white pudding though. This sounds like a great idea. You could plant things on the first full day and do it on the second. Incorporate the park with the town. I can see one of the experts cringing hoping their name isn't asked to take the picture. Lol. There was a mini version of this not long ago. The Irish products are a good idea. I really am rushed, but a point could be awarded for things like Silvermints, Taytos, Lilt, Malteezers, etc. The chalk and/or rocks idea is a good one too. I'll be back tomorrow. Good luck.

Calgary AB
Level Contributor
347 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: treasure hunt game help

Still hoping for some more help on ideas for the game. I have never been to Ireland before, and just do not know where to start. I promise that I will not send any teenagers looking for you, though I can tell you that you would enjoy meeting them, they a quite a fun group of kids.

I just can't get an idea for distances and what they could get to on thier own from the information i have been finding on the internet. I think that they could handle the bus system as long as they do not have to go too far. Maybe even an adult with each group would make it so they could go more exciting places.

Please help if you can,

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,301 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: treasure hunt game help

An historical point in Killarney is the Memorial to the Children who died in the Famine which is under a tree in front of the Catholic Cathedral.

Food might include Clove Drops or Bull's Eyes by the 1/4 lb (there is a very small sweetshop close to Mac's restaurant which sells them loose)

You might also get them to find out about the Copper Mines on Ross Island.

Calgary AB
Level Contributor
347 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: treasure hunt game help

And thanks again Boru, you seem like the fun type. I have to say that I am excited about the idea, but I know it will give the grandparents fits! I want the kids to really learn about where they are on this trip. This is going to be our one big family trip with all of the grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins. I want it to be special. We are starting in Ireland ( we are of Irish and Scottish decent) and then going on to Scotland, London and Paris.

I am in charge of keeping the kids and the non golfers busy in Ireland.

I have always found that kids learn more when they are having fun and don't know that they are learning. I used to teach skiiing in the rockies, and you would be suprised what you can teach kids by stuffing as many of them as possible inside a hula hoop and pushing them down the hill!

I am thinking quite big with this game. I see these kids (average age 16) finding there way all around the town by themselves. They are all very bright, mostly daring, and competetive and resourseful. And for anybody that is concerned about them running amock in your town, they also have good manners.

I just do not have time to come up with the places and thing after we get there. I will need to plan it all out in advance, so I would love any help that I could get.

Calgary AB
Level Contributor
347 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: treasure hunt game help

Thanks so much Bean! love the ideas!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: treasure hunt game help

Hi travelmom. In a hurry AGAIN! I thought of another unusual item. Crubeens. I have an idea about where to get other ideas. I'll definitely have more time later. I'll check. Cheers.