We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

I will be traveling to Killarney at the first of March. While there, I plan to propose to my girlfriend. I was looking at doing it at Torc waterfall after visiting Muckross Abbey and Muckross House earlier in the day. From those who have been to Killarney or live there, I would appreciate your advice:

What is the foot traffic like at the waterfall at this time of the year? Is there an ideal time in the evening/late afternoon to do it? Would like to be alone if possible.

Are there any particular good spots along the trail to do it? Looking for something scenic.

Is it possible to catch a jaunting cart back from the waterfall to town later in the evening?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

Foot traffic shouldn't be too bad on a weekday in March. If privacy is very important, there's another much less well known waterfall on the far side of the lower lake called O'Sullivan's cascade. However, there are a couple of reasons it's not so well known - it's smaller than Torc and it's difficult to find. You have to find the entrance to Tomie's wood first and tyhen you'll be walking through the woods for half an hour.

As for an ideal time, I can't really see one. You may want to check the weather forecast to be sure your big moment is not ruined by one of Ireland's downpours though. While weather forecasting isn't an exact science yet, they're pretty good with forecasts for the next 6-12 hours now.

Good luck!

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,280 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

Torc always appears to be busy. I don't think its intimate enough.

However, if you go to Muckross House and stand at the side of the house (its to the right of the main door) facing the lake. Then go down to the footpath just in front of the lake and take a right. Follow this path down, under a barrier (I think there is a barrier here) and along a lakeside path. Usually with reeds to your left. Then you will come to another barrier like a limbo pole and go under that.

About 50 yards or so, on your left through the trees - depending on how much rain there has been - there is a lakeside beach. You RARELY meet people there off-season. Its absolutely beautiful. If its raining, you can hear the sound of the drops hitting the leaves and then down onto the ground.

I think that would be romantic.

But remember that Muckross still closes at 6pm in early March.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

The trail to Torc Waterfall is short and so no real spot to stop and make your proposal. Also, any jarveys there will be with people and not able to take you back to town. You may be able to get one at Muckross House to take you back to town but it would be pricey as they prefer to get business and stay in the park. Not sure about O'Sullivans Cascades on the other side of the lake. You have to park your car on one side of a farm and walk through the farm to get to the woods and then in the woods the falls are not so visible without some hiking. There are other, easier to get to but still quiet, falls further out the road past Torc called Derrycunihy Cascade. If you pick up the free Killarney National Park pamphlet you can see them reference 81/90 just under the Upper Lake on the map. My suggestion though would be the Meeting of the Waters behind Dinis Cottage. If you drive out past Torc on the Killarney Kenmare road there is a small car park on the right and you can walk down to the Cottage on the lake. It can be busy there between 11 and 2 but quite at other times. You can even walk onto the Old Weir Bridge and propose up there and be sure to have the place to yourself. Just google 'Old Weir Bridge' and 'Dinis Cottage' and you will see what it looks like there.

dallas
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

Thanks for the insight about the jarveys. It seems that Torc might not be the ideal place. Unfortunatley we won't have a car, so that might limit us.

Would spots around Muckross House be better? Could we just take a cart back to town from there?

The other option is the Gap of Dunloe, if that is more private in early March.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

Getting to the Gap without a car would be more difficult than the Muckross area.

Perhaps you could walk or take a jarvey from town to Ross Island and Ross Castle. From there you could hire a boat on the lake to Innisfallen Island or walk out on Ross Island to Governors Rock or Library Point?

Edited: 10:15 am, February 04, 2012
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,173 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

Was also going to suggest Ross Castle,or you could do lunch at the Lake hotel and then stroll arm and arm down the the shore, meanwhile having champagne on ice in the hotel?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

Don't be so caught up about it being private. Surely much more exciting to propose in front of at least some witnesses who would add to the surprise.

I too thought of the meeting of the waters - the significance of your proposal and this location would be perfect, however I have in my mind a really lovely romantic spot on the walk around Muckross Lake, but can't think of the name of it just now. I'll have to google. I remember being there last year and thinking - perfect spot for a proposal. Back in a few mins.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

It's called Brickeen Bridge and it's part of the Muckross Lake circular walk.

In fact I have just realised the the full walk can be followed using Google earth and there is a lovely shot there of the bridge in question. You can view this by using the 'street view' function in Google Earth.

The circular walk takes about 90 minutes and I recommend it to anyone who is in Killarney and can spend the time walking it.

You can begin the walk from the grounds of Muckross house and that is where you will finish (if you wish)

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

I've been to Killarney twice and vote for the waterfalls or jaunting carts!

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Engagement/Proposal Advice Needed

Yes, if you've time that walk is a very good idea. And it will take you to Muckross House, Brickeen Bridge, Dinis Cottage, The Meeting of the Waters, The Old Weir Bridge and Torc Waterfall. And perhaps to add memory to the event you could have a proposal dinner that night in Bricin Restaurant in Killarney http://www.bricin.com/ If the walk seems like it might be too long you can hire a jarvey at Muckross House to take you on a loop of the lake to stop at all those locations.

Edited: 11:31 am, February 05, 2012