We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney in April

San Francisco
11 posts
Save Topic
Killarney in April

Hello there!

I am planning a 10 day trip to ireland with my mom and would like to spend most of the time in and around Kerry! Is there enough to do in the area to occupy 10 day? We will have a car! Or should we try to stay in two different areas.... Please advise other areas if so!

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,011 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney in April

Hi Jessica,

I will make some suggestions and let you make up your own mind:

Ring of Kerry including Valentia Island - 1 Day for the fast version. 2 days for the leisurely version

Dingle Peninsula - Ditto

Torc Waterfall-Ladies View-Moll's Gap-Black Valley-Cumeenduff-Gap of Dunloe-Kate Kearney's Cottage Most of a Day, depending on where and how long you stop.

Muckross House and Gardens, Torc Waterfall, Muckross Abbey - A day.

Gougane Barra - Day trip

You could also go to West Cork and visit the Béara Peninsula, Bantry, Bandon Clonakilty and Courtmacsherry.

Mentioned in this post
Ladies' View
Ladies' View
2,245 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
2,970 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,689 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
Moll's Gap
Moll's Gap
174 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Torc Waterfall
Torc Waterfall
2,982 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Muckross Abbey
Muckross Abbey
1,086 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Kate Kearney's Cottage
Kate Kearney's Cottage
600 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Clonakilty
Clonakilty
County Cork, Ireland
San Francisco
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney in April

Thank-you so much! Do you recommend renting a car to do all of this?

Best,

Jessica

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,011 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney in April

Jessica, I would definately recommend hiring a car (as would the others here, I am sure) to do these trips.

Some of the places - specifically The Black Valley Trip are not done by busses.

What you might consider doing is spending a couple of days in West Cork - Bryno the Cork Expert is brilliant on suggestions here - and then going over to Killarney.

You might also consider picking up some of the relevant Ordnanace Survey Maps (Scale 1:50 000) while you're over (they're available in bookshops and many supermarkets and general stores) particularly those for Killarney and the Ring of Kerry. These are Map No's 78 and 83. They cost about Euro 7.95 for normal or Euro 8.95 for Waterproof (great if you're hiking)

Also check out www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes This site gives distances, detailed instructions and estimated times. Its not completely fool-proof but is still very good.

Jessica - May I ask where are you flying in to and where are you flying out of? Will you be here over Easter? (The children are off school from the 8th April to the 23rd April inclusive which may make things a little more complicated with accommodation and more visitors to popular spots)

I hope this has helped.

Take Care.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
San Francisco
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney in April

Beanalainn~

Thank-you so much for all of your insight! I haven't been to Ireland in over 7 years (since college) and cannot wait to return to my favorite country in the world with my mom!

I will be flying into Dublin on April 1st and returning out of Dublin on April 11th. Upon entering the country, I plan on heading west, as my mother does not do well in larger cities like Dublin!

I am thinking that we will have time to visit two areas of the country in 10 days.... The ring of Kerry/Killarney and then west Cork as you noted.

I am planning on renting a car! Is is safe to travel the ring of kerry by car- as I have read some posts noting that that ride can be a bit rough due to the cliffs and touc busses!

Thank-you for all of your insights!

Best,

Jessica

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,011 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killarney in April

Jessica, your itinerary sounds absolutely lovely and I am sure you and your Mum will have a wonderful time.

I drove the Ring of Kerry last November and Kerry County Council were in the process of widening some of the more "exciting" bits. The road is much improved and more enjoyable.

Have a good trip and we would love if you could get back to us here and tell us how it went.

Take Care.

Mentioned in this post
County Kerry
County Kerry
San Francisco
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Killarney in April

Beanalainn~

Thank-you so much! I have since confirmed 5 nights in Killarney at a B&B and cannot wait!

I am hoping that we can make day trips, per you recommendations! Is the dingle area a day trip from Killarney, or should we look to stay in the area? Do you know the approximate drive time from Killarney to Dingle!

Thanks so much!

Jessica

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
San Francisco
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Killarney in April

Beanalainn~

One other question; Have you heard of the Ross Castle Lodge in Killarney?

Please advise!

Thanks,

Jessica

Mentioned in this post
Ross Castle Lodge
Ross Castle Lodge
194 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,011 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Killarney in April

Hi Jessica,

Kerker, another poster, is planning to stay in Ross Castle Lodge. I don't have personal experience of the B&B, but it is in a beautiful area. It is only a short walk from Ross Castle and Island, which is a very scenic area.

According to www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes Killarney to Dingle will take about 2 hours. However, what I will say to you is that the drive to Dingle is as much of the attraction as Dingle itself.

Try and get a good map when you arrive. If you are feeling a bit flush, then you could do worse than get the Ordnance Survey Maps 70 and 71 which cover the whole Dingle Peninsula in detail, Maps 83 and 78 cover all but a very small bit of the Iveragh Peninsula (Ring of Kerry) including Killarney and the Black Valley.

The Maps cost between 7.95 and 8.95 each, the waterproof ones costing more.

If you are going to Dingle, go by Inch Beach and Anascaul one way and the Conor Pass the other. Lough Anascaul (which I learned of, courtesy of Clauds from Kildare Thanks) is a beautiful glacial lake up a hill/mountain at the back of Anascaul and is well worth a visit. At the Dingle side of Anascaul, just before The South Pole Inn, there is a turn up the hill. There are two roads off the main road. Take the one to the right (it is signposted) and drive up following the sign posts. You will feel at times as if you are driving through people's farmyards, but persist. Eventually you will come to a gate. Drive through the gate (close it after you) and down the hill - don't worry you will be fine) and there is parking down at the end. It is an incredible experience.

The Conor Pass is well documented and is being improved currently, so less looking through the slits in your fingers. According to my very brave sister, if you park your car at the top of the Conor Pass (there is a parking area) and climb up the hill a bit there is another beautiful glacial lake.

Inch Beach is wonderful.

While in the area, you should also do the Black Valley drive, which I have documented here on the forum. Just do a search. If you can't find it, get back to me.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Ross Castle Lodge
Ross Castle Lodge
194 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,689 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,318 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Inch Beach
Inch Beach
638 Reviews
Inch, Ireland
Conor Pass
Conor Pass
516 Reviews
South Pole Inn
South Pole Inn
401 Reviews
Annascaul, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
County Kerry
County Kerry
San Francisco
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Killarney in April

Thank-you Thank-you!

One other question: I would like to have "formal irish tea" while Ireland with my mom. Do you have any recommendations in Kerry, Limerick?

Best,

Jessica

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
County Kerry
County Kerry
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,011 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Killarney in April

We don't do Afternoon Tea as much here as they would in Britain. However, the Great Southern Hotel in Parknasilla is a nice place to stop if you are doing the Ring of Kerry. As far as I know they do Afternoon Tea

http://www.greatsouthernhotels.com/

parknasilla/

The site won't let me post the web-site in its entirity. Delete the space in the address above - parknasilla/ should be linked without a space to the letters above.

Definately worth a visit :o)

Mentioned in this post
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
2,160 Reviews
Sneem, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry