We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

We are attending a wedding end of June in Kilkenny and then want to hike in either Killarney or Dingle afterwards -about 6-8 days. No car! We have found a tour operator that will take luggage from inn to inn, but can't decide between Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula.

Clare
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

Hi equinox

With 6-8 days you could do the two.

Advice from other members. Am I being too ambitious?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,145 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

I agree with Drummagh. Do the two. Bryno, the Cork Expert, has done the Old Kenmare Road between Killarney and Kenmare. I have done a teeny weeny bit of it and it is a wonderful walk.

This site will give you details of some Killarney walks:

killarneytown.com/outdoor_activities/walking…

Enjoy yourself.

Clare
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

Hi again

Deros in Killarney do the ROK

The tour leaves Deros office in Main Street, Killarney at 10:30 every day during the season and returns at approximately 17:15hrs. 22 Main St (opposite the Tourist Office), Killarney, Co Kerry, Ireland.

Tel +353 64 31251 or 31567 Fax +353 64 34077

www.derostours.com

I don't know enough about tours in Dingle so I'll let others advise. We usually drive this by ourselves.

Enjoy the wedding and your holiday.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

Thank you all for such prompt responses.

We are serious day hikers and would like to walk approximately 15 km a day and this would not allow us to do both locations. Can you recommend one over the other?

Clare
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

Hi Equinox

Sorry, I didn't read your post completely. Never saw the word 'hike'.

This is a difficult question, most people I asked today said Dingle as it was less touristy and a variety of other reasons . The hike is roughly 178km long.

Google the following

Hiking the Dingle Peninsula by Neal Thompson

I think you should try and get to see the Gap of Dungloe, outside Killarney. Maybe other members will advise you better, so I'll bump up your question.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,145 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

Drummagh, I agree with you about the Gap of Dunloe. Absolutely beautiful.

Equinox - there is a Black Valley Hike that takes you down one side of the valley, across a small ford near Lord Brandon's Cottage and through the Black Valley to the Gap of Dunloe. I can't remember where I saw the hike - if I come across it I can post it here.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

That sounds good also. Purple Mtn., along side the gap, apparently offers great views too. Another idea I had was Skellig michael. There are something like 600 steps up to an ancient fortress. Cheers.

Clare
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

Hi Equinox & everybody

Killarney to Black Valley, 20.5km/13miles. Elevation: 350m/1,150ft

Walk through Killarney National Park passing the ruins of Muckross Friary, Muckross House and its gardens, up beside Torc Waterfall and along The Old Kenmare Road to the ancient oak woods beside the Killarney’s Upper Lake.

I did this years ago and it was good. We even go to see red deer in the distance.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

Sorry all, reading the original post and all the good replies to it again it seems to me that we might have missed the point: equinox is looking for a hiking tour where they can have luggage forwarded to a B&B or hostel while they are doing all the climbing and hiking. From one destination to another. equinox has found an operator for this so all your good suggestions don't apply.

equinox, can you tell us which operator you're talking about? Your concern is really just which peninsula you should visit? Could you let us know the itinerary your chosen operator has in mind? Then we could maybe help you with the choosing.

P.S. Just in case I got this completely wrong, should I take my brain down from the washing line?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,145 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Post Wedding Hiking - ROK or Dingle

Clauds - the voice of reason in the wilderness that is Kerry, you once more appear to be right.

Equinox, as Clauds has so rightly said, could you please elaborate somewhat more on the options you have before we have you being rescued by the Kerry Mountain Rescue Team :o)