We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh Great Ireland Gurus...The ignorant one needs your help...

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oh Great Ireland Gurus...The ignorant one needs your help...

All of your posts on these forums have been so helpful to me. But I need your help one more time. My hotels are finally all settled except for cancelling a couple...but here are my last questions:

My itinery is Shannon Airport to Galway to Killarney to Kilkenny to Dublin. Since my husband and I had hard enough time driving in Portugal and Spain, I can't see us doing it on the opposite side of the roads in Ireland--especially in mountains. I would be screaming on the floor of the car (wrong side), and he would be yelling and weaving down the middle of the road. It would not be pleasant. So, we are taking busses and--from Kilkenny to Dublin--the train.

Can I make these bus reservations in each city once we are there...rather than booking on line ahead of time? We'll be there in early April...so I don't see anything being sold out at that time?????

We'll take day trips out of Galway, Killarney and Dublin, and I'm trying to pinpoint the best tour operators and best tours.

In Galway, there's O'Neachtain Tours and Ireland West. Does anyone have a recommendation on which operators are best?

I need to pick from tours of Conamara (might not be spelled right), Clifs of Moher and Arran Islands. Any recommendations?

In Killarney, we have the choice of Ring of Kerry, Dingle Pennisula or Gap of Dunlow. The Gap of Dunlow with the pony and trap and boat sounds fun...but should we miss Ring of Kerry for that? Also, I read lots of raves about Dingle Pennisula. Any recommendations?

In Dublin, I'm trying to decide on either a Wild Wicklow tour or train to Belfast. Any recommendations here?

I'm assuming that we can book the day tours as we arrive in each city.

OH THANK YOU, GREAT GURUS! YOU ARE THE BEST!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh Great Ireland Gurus...The ignorant one needs your help...

Welch, if you have a choice between the Ring of Kerry, The Dingle Peninsula and the Gap of Dunloe then you have a difficult choice.

I could't honestly favour one over the other. But if you think the Gap in the (pony) Trap is most fun then do it. The first bit of the Gap in the Trap is a bit boring but the rest is absolutely spectacular. Really wonderful.

You will have a wonderful time in Killarney no matter what you do.

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh Great Ireland Gurus...The ignorant one needs your help...

Hi Welch!

I do recall a similar incident to yours in Spain and the fear of driving down a twisting mountain road with no verge or barrier and the feeling that you were about to plunge over! I haven't experienced that here however as we tend to have big stone walls between you and the valley below!

Anyway Buses it is!

Lallys are another company that do trips out of Galway. They are all good companies and have similar tours and prices. I don't know if any of them are way better then the others. Not very helpful, but at least you know that which ever tour your take, your not loosing out.

The Aran Islands you'll have to do independently. You'll get a bus from Galway included when you book. When you get to the island(s) you can hire bikes, walk or take a mini bus around. They're small and easy to navigate.

You can book most tours in the Tourist Office just of Eyre Square . The cruise up the river Corrib is also nice.

You can take the Citylink bus from the Shannon airport direct to Galway City.

www.citylink.ie

Hope this helps!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh Great Ireland Gurus...The ignorant one needs your help...

:-0

Dublin, Ireland.
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh Great Ireland Gurus...The ignorant one needs your help...

Belfast or Wicklow are two extremely different experiences. If it was me, I'd do Belfast. Get something to eat in the Europa Hotel, which has the dubious honour of being the most bombed hotel in Europe. Don't let that scare you though...............much.

Food is really good there.