We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of Kerry question

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ring of Kerry question

I'm visiting Ireland (ash cloud permitting) the first 2 weeks of May and will be spending 5 nights in the Killarney area... 2 nights in Cahersiveen to do a trip to Skellig Michael, and 3 nights in Killarney itself. My question is, would it be worthwhile to do the full Ring of Kerry tour or, since I'll already be seeing (albeit not making as many stops) half the ring from Killarney through to Portmagee, would I really be missing anything major if I didn't do the full tour? I also plan to do the Dingle tour, and if I do the ROK tour as well it would only give me about half a day to see sights like Muckross House/Farm, Torc waterfall, Ross Castle, etc.. which doesn't seem to be enough. If I don't do the tour, I'll be able to spend more time seeing those other sights as well as exploring the town itself. I'm leaning more now toward not doing the ROK tour since I'll already be "doing" half of it with my side trip to Skellig, but just want to make sure I won't be missing anything really interesting/exciting.

Also, I'm thinking about doing the evening Killarney Ghost Tour... has anyone every done that?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ring of Kerry question

You're right to consider leaving out the full ROK tour. However, you'd be missing the really spectacular part from Killarney to Moll's Gap. But if you have a car and go to see Torc Waterfall you can drive up the few miles more. Not doing the ROK would give you a full day to see some of the sights around Killarney and you shouldn't miss Dingle.

Try not to worry about the ash cloud, I'm pretty sure you'll be okay.

Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ring of Kerry question

From what you said I presume you would be taking an organised tour on the ring, as if you were traveling independantly you could continue around the ring to get back to Killarney. If so I would do the full tour if I were you. The most spectacular scenery for me is on the southern side of the ring including Derrynane,Molls Gap, Ladies view etc as well as Torc and Muckross on the way back to Killarney.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ring of Kerry question

If I recall correctly you are using public transportation for your time in Ireland. As such you will be spending many of your days (or parts thereof) in a bus. I think it wise for you to give yourself a day out of one to enjoy the sites at your own pace and would suggest renting bikes, taking a jaunting car or calling a taxi to take in Muckross House, Gardens, ... while there. You can easily walk from town through the park to Ross Castle and perhaps take a boat out to Innisfallen Island.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
587 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ring of Kerry question

Hi,

Do you mean that from Carhirciveen, bus# 280 (during summer) do not pass Derrynane,Molls Gap, Ladies view? and one is not able to see the view without any stop?

ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ring of Kerry question

Good comments by others about public transport.problem is you dont get any information about what your passing,no history culture ext.If you just want to see that is ok,but if you want to understand and get a better insight into the area perhaps a guided tour might be worth the extra investment of time and money.The Killarney ghost bus tour gives a great mix of story telling ,history and folklore while visiting local historical sites.Reports of some people being quite scared during some parts of the tour while other parts are very funny and have you laughing.Local reports say its well worth doing,lasts about 2hrs.Hope this is of help

6. Re: Ring of Kerry question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, November 01, 2010