We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gap of Dunloe Tours

California
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Gap of Dunloe Tours

We're a family of 6 (4 kids ages 17, 17, 16, and 10), and we'd like to take a tour of the Gap of Dunloe, but since we're a large family, we'd like to keep it as cost effective as possible.

In the past we've taken a jaunting car halfway through the Gap, starting from Kate Kearney's Cottage, and thought the price was reasonable (but I don't remember what we paid last time we were there -- does anyone recall an approximate price?).

We'd like to do this again, but we'd also like to combine it with a tour of the Lakes this time if it's not too expensive.

Does anyone have an approximate cost of what a tour with boat and cart would be? I looked on the websites for Dero's Tours, Killarney Day Tour, and Jaunting Car Tours, but they don't all have prices.

I also noticed that an hour boat tour on the Lily of Killarney is only 25 euros for a family, which seems reasonable. Maybe this would be a better (but separate) option?

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Julie

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gap of Dunloe Tours

Deros Tours has a price list http://www.derostours.com/rates.html You can save money by hiking instead if everyone is fit.

uk
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gap of Dunloe Tours

The Lily of Killarney boat tour, whilst pleasant enough in a covered motorised boat, is not exactly the best trip ever. It chugs around parts of Lough Leane close to Ross Island and goes over close to Innisfallen Island too. As I recall it does not approach that gorgeous little Brickeen bridge nor does it venture towards the Beaufort end of the lake. I would say it is of quite limited appeal and not that attractive to teenagers----mine soon got bored! If it rains the transparent boat cover will be so misted up you won't see much at all. All my personal observations---make of them what you will, but enjoy your hols however you do it. I once stayed at Hotel Europe and hired a man and rowing boat to take us out mid-lake. Sorry can't recall the cost of that but it was better than the Lily tour.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gap of Dunloe Tours

To the best of my knowledge the cost for the GOD tour breaks down as follows. E20 for the boat, E20 for the jaunting car and E10 for the bus transfers. So E300 for a family of 6. If you cut out the jaunting car ride you could do it for E180. A cheaper way to do it would be to sacrifice one person from your party. Have that person drop you guys at Ross Castle to take the boat from there to Lord Brandon's Cottage. Have that person drive to Kate Kearney's and walk to meet you guys hiking through the Gap. That would mean E100 for the trip but sadly one person would skip the boat part. If you wished to keep the group together that would mean an extra E80 so I guess you have to ask your self does that extra person (lets say dad) prefer to save the E80 or does he really want to complete the tour. But now that I have done the numbers, if dad wishes to do the boat and pay the E20 for it he could get a taxi from Kate Kearney's to Ross Castle to pick up the car (and then go back to get the rest of the group) as this would cost a lot less than the E60 the bus charges for 6 people. (And Kate's is a great place to wait for your ride to come get you.) So by just paying for the boat and then a taxi it would probably be less than E130.

*My suggestion of doing the tour in reverse order means that you have all day to hike through the gap and hot have to rush to meet the boats' one sailing time.*

The cheapest way overall to experience the Gap and lakes would be to hire a boat at Ross Castle to take you to Innisfallen Island. I don't know the exact price but I am sure they would take a family of 6 there and back for less than E50. It is a great place to go for a short walk and have a picnic as well as to explore the monastic ruins. Then later in the day drive yourselves to the Kate Kearney's and hike as far as ye are able into the Gap. This last part would be free.

Hoping I have not confused you with all the options above so please feel free to ask for clarification.

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gap of Dunloe Tours

Check out www.killarneydaytour.com the O'Donoghue Brothers Boat Tours.The boat leaves Ross Castle in the morning at 10am but they do arrange to pick you up at your accommodation and i am sure they will do a special rate for families if you emailed them.

info@killarneydaytour.com

I have booked them over the past few weeks for clients and the feedback has been excellent.

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gap of Dunloe Tours

As mentioned already, you can take a lakes tour from Hotel Europe. This is a good/reasonably priced option as they will take you wherever you want to go and for any length of time. The boat used is a traditional lake boat and would be exclusively for your family.

California
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gap of Dunloe Tours

I'm the original poster of this thread, and since we've just returned from our Ireland trip, I thought I'd give a little more info in case others are planning a similar trip.

First, we ended up not doing a full Gap of Dunloe tour. We just hired a jaunting cart and two ponies at Kate Kearny's Cottage to take us half way through the Gap of Dunloe and back for a total of 70euro for the six of us. Everyone loved it except for our 10-year old who was terrified of the ponies the whole time.

We had planned to do a separate boat trip on a different day, but an injury kept me down for most of my time in Killarney, so we didn't do this.

There's always next time.

Thank you to eveyone who offered advice to me on this thread!

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gap of Dunloe Tours

Avalon,

Thanks for getting back to us and sorry to hear of your injury. Hoping you still enjoyed most of your time in Killarney.

8. Re: Gap of Dunloe Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, February 08, 2010