We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

We are going to Ireland on August 23rd and need some help. We are flying into Shannon and would like to see the West/Southwestern side of Ireland as we've done the Eastern side before.

We were thinking of going to Earl's Court House in Killarney for 3 - 4 days, golfing, and making a base camp out of Killarney due to it's supposed proximety to everything in the area (Dingle Peninsula, Kenmare)...but have heard horrid things about Killarney and now I'm really worried. Not quite sure where to go now or if we should stay w/ our original plan.

What about Kinsale, Cobh? We are going to go towards or past Shannon a day or two prior to flying out and might stay at Adare Manor...any other thoughts for something or somewhere to go for an amazing honeymoon?

Thank you so mich!

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

Hey Z. What did you hear about Killarney? It is touristy, but there are places where that is moreso(Dingle for instance). I was there a month ago and thought it had a good mix of tourists and locals considering the scenery. The National Park is beautiful and it's easy to return there when you find yourself with a bit of extra time, on numerous days, from Killarney. I passed by Earl's Court numerous times and thought it looked really nice. I'm sure you'll get help from numerous people who return there often. How much time do you have before you want to get back to Shannon area? Cheers.

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

yes, it does depend on how far you're willing to travel. You mentioned Kinsale - it's a really lovely town, loads of great places to eat and to stay. Killarney is really v nice too though - you shouldn't let people put you off.

I've never been in August but it probably is quite touristy then, I'd imagine, if that's what you would have reservations about - then again, most places in Ireland are touristy in August!

Toronto Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

Just came back from Ireland, and stayed 1 night in Dingle (fantastic town and B&B couldn't have been better Castlewood House) and 1 night in Kinsale (stayed at Waylunga B and B was also great but you will need to drive into town). Really enjoyed that part of the country as I had not really been down that way before. I could easily see going back and spending a week around that area including Cobh.

Killarney is fine but it is touristy, but that can be fun too.

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

Hiya Z everywhere you mentioned is touristy, but no matter where you choose you will have a great time. If you opt for Killarney Earls Court is great and you will be in the centre of everything golfing, sightseeing and easy to get to other destinations. Dont let anyone put you off come and enjoy yourself and congratulations.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

Thanks everyone,

I posted another request for emergency help under this same topic so feel free to look at that itinerary to give more advice. My dilemma is do we do a 1/2 circle around southern and western Ireland staying in a different town every night and driving 70 miles per day, OR, we do we stay in Killarney and try to visit those same towns but returning to Killarney at night?

We liked the idea of having a home base but I don't believe we'll be able to see or do as much and the driving could actually turn out to be worse!

Thanks again, you have no idea how much this is helping.

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

70 miles?? I once drove 2900 miles in 9 days in Ireland. I'd kill for my pop(1 of the nicest people I've met), but was leaning toward harming him. Lol. He didn't want to stay in The North and we had to do day trips...If it's all country roads, I reckon you could do 70 miles in 2-2.5 hours. As often stated here, it all depends on your comfort level with the left side and the gears. I've recently driven alot with the gears, but I still say to enjoy yourself more in Ireland, splurge on the automatic. Check out theaa.com for driving times and distances. Also the less time driving at night the better. Having said all that, it is a special place. You'll actually have to try to have a bad time, and you might not succeed. Cheers.

Rice Lake WI
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

pom161 always gives excellent advice.

I'm headed there in September and had READ lots of bad things about killarney. But having listened to folks on this forum and asked everybody I ran into (because I have been positively obsessing) - well, so many have said it was their FAVORITE place. I don't think anybody I spoke to was the type to love tee shirt shops and muckross house snow bubbles, so I'm thinking there is something about Killarney that makes people rave.

I agree that having a home base sounds nice, but if I want to enjoy a place and not drive at night, it does seem to dictate that you spend the night in different places rather than doing day trips. You may find, as I have, that there are just some places that need more than 1 day, so you can settle for a few nights now and then.

Have a great time and let us know how it goes!

UK
Level Contributor
655 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

Bad things about Killarney????

We always make a base down there when in the Southwest as there are so many 'non cheesy' things to do!

The number of hotels etc has exploded enormously over recent years however Killarney is still a small town but is very tourist orintated/oriented (UK/US - LOL) You have to realise that Ireland has a tiny population, very few places have 24 hour convenience stores / petrol stations and villages do not always have restaurants or even fast food establishments, so if you stay somewhere quiet -it will be VERY quiet!!

I personally would only drive an hour or so to get to attractions from one base, to see more I would move around every few days

WOW pom - 2900 miles in one trip - I bow down to you LOL

We always do about 1500 - 2000 miles a trip and moan about that being a bum-numbing ha ha

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

I hear ya 5. That 2900 converts to 4000-5000 mostly highway miles over here. Yikes-way too much. I agree with the approx. hour drive point to a degree. That works when staying in most areas of Ireland, but Kerry is different. The Ring takes about 4 hours non-stop. In Cork, Beara takes about the same. Dingle takes less, but you still have to get to these peninsulas from where you're staying also. I really like sightseeing and driving during the day. It's at night that my neck gets tense from craning to see small road signs as they zip past at 80 kph. I'd definitely tone down the driving on a honeymoon though. Speaking of which, don't forget to get your hands on Mead. In the middle ages in Ireland, after the wedding the groom was given some mead every night by his new father-in-law. This lasted for a full cycle of The Moon. Mead is made from fermented honey, and is quite good. Thus the origin of HONEY-MOON. So there you go. Cheers (funny since I just had a Cliff Clavin[Cheers TV] moment.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Ireland....help!

Stop stressing out - the Killarney area is lovely!

I'd like to reiterate what some of the others have said already - you're going on your honeymoon so maybe don't get so worried about travelling around the whole time having to pack and unpack your bags the whole time.

Some nice honeymoon things to do:

Book dinner in the Sheen Falls in Kenmare (Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston have stayed there, it's a five star hotel)- my boyfriend brought me there for my birthday.

It's quite pricey - around 80 euro a plate but worth every penny for the experience. The surroundings are out of this world - green landscaped gardens with waterfall. You are greeted in the foyer and invited into the lounge for a predinner drink if you wish.

A pianist plays on a grand piano in the dining area. The meal itself consists of five courses and it's silver service i.e. you have your very own waitress/waiter for the evening. The staff are total professionals - there's no hanging around and chatting in the service area for example. When each course is ready it is placed in front of you and your hubby at exactly the same time. The food is absolutely delicious and the waiting staff comb the crumbs off the table between courses. When I went to the ladies during the meal on returning to the table a waiter was after me straight away to pull out my chair when I got back to the table.

I found it to be a fantastic experience and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Also, the Limetree restaurant (in Kenmare) is not as expensive but really cute and romantic. It's a converted stone schoolhouse and the food is really good and the waiting staff are lovely. Ask to be seated downstairs though, it has a more intimate atmosphere.

You can also go on a "Seafari" from Kenmare which consists of a boat trip around Kenmare bay and you can do some seal watching. They also give you tea (with a drop of something stronger if you like!) and biscuits on the boat.

Take a boat trip out to Skellig Rock.

Why not book in for some pampering treatments in a Killarney hotel - the Brehon (located next door to the Gleneagle Hotel)has the first Angsana Spa in Europe.

There are also Irish dancing shows (in a similar vein to Riverdance) on in the Gleneagle in Killarney and in the Kenmare Bay Hotel in Kenmare.

Go to Derrynane Beach it's in Caherdaniel where Daniel O'Connell's house is, that's worth a look too, and the grounds are really nice. The beach itself is quite long but quite deserted which is surprising for a beach on the Ring of Kerry.

You're going to have a great time! Let me know if you've any questions about it.