We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip itinerary to southern ireland

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
trip itinerary to southern ireland

Thank you everyone for your trip advise. We have looked over many posts for this trip. Still looking for ideas. We will arrive in Ireland on 2-13-2008. Pick-up a car and head towards Tralee? Is this to far a drive without much sleep(long flight from Chicago) the 1st morning?

After we arrive in Tralee(Camp Junction House B&B) drive around Dingle Bay. Planned on spending two nights. Would like to drive around thr ring of Kerry.

Do we need to spend the night somewhere in Killarney instead or can Tralee still be our base?

On 2-15-08 move on to County Cork and stay at Kinsdale area. Still researching a nice B&B for one or two nights. Not sure how long to stay.

Leave 2-17-08 for Limerick? working our way back to Shannon area.

2-18-08 Made reservations at Bunratty B&B for one night

2-19-08 Flight leaves for Home

So I still have a few questions and holes in itinerary , thats still in the works. Any ideas would be helpful...thanks Trip Advisor for any replies.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip itinerary to southern ireland

The drive to Tralee is doable, you will probably be tired and driving on the left may take some getting used to but just get your bearings after you pick up the car, stop for a light breakfast or even do this at the airport before you pick up the car and take your time driving along the Shannon to Tralee. There will be lots of places to get out and stretch your legs and inhale the fresh air along the esturary to keep you going that first morning.

Spending two nights at your first stop is a good idea. Relax and enjoy the local area on your first night. Plan a walk on the beach, a nice hearty meal, and a night cap at a pub for an early evening.

Wake up refreshed and spend you first full day enjoying the Dingle Peninsula. Perhaps heading there through O'connrs Pass and returning to Camp on the more main roads.

Enjoy your second night (as you had planned) in Camp and return to your (now) local pub for your nightly night cap.

You can easily leave the Tralee area and join the Ring of Kerry in Kilorglin and head west along the coast. Again take your time and stop often even if you think you are in the middle of nowhere - it is probably the best place to stop!

Since you goal is to head to the Cork area, I would advise not completing the full ring and going to Killarney but instead leaving the ring in Kenmare and either spending your night here or somewhere in the direction of the West Cork coast (Glengarrif or Bantry will put you in the right direction). And travel this coastal route (either taking in the Bearra Peninsula or not) on your way to Kinsale.

This will give you two nights in Kinsale and still allow your last night in Bunratty as planned.

Since you are unsure of how long to stay in Kinsale, perhaps two night in Glengarrif would work? You could take one day to explore the Bearra Peninsula and early one day to ferry out to one of the nearby islands. Leaving time to reach Kinsale before it gets too dark for one night there?

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip itinerary to southern ireland

Thank you soo much for the helpful post. I will look for some nice B&B's along the way to Kinsdale. I will check out TA for some tips for Kenmare area. Then look into the Glengarrif area. Thanks again.

If you can think of anything else,please pass it along..have a good day

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip itinerary to southern ireland

moonshoes, I am assuming you are flying into Shannon,if so, the drive to Tralee should not be a problem. The main difficutly would be going through Limerick at rush hour. I am not sure exactly what time of the morning this is but someone here can advise you as to the time.

4. Re: trip itinerary to southern ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 14, 2009