We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rowing Boats & Torc Waterfall

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
7 posts
Save Topic
Rowing Boats & Torc Waterfall

Does anyone know if you can hire rowing boats to go on the lakes. I have read somewhere that you can hire them from Ross Castle but I can’t see any details on the net

Also, how do you get to Torc Waterfall? We were thinking of hiring bikes to get to Ross castle but where do we go from there?

thanks

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,291 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rowing Boats & Torc Waterfall

There are currents in the lakes and they are quite dangerous, so it is best to go out with a boatman.

You can find boatmen at Ross Castle and at the Boathouse in Muckross Gardens.

I THINK there may be a cycle path running from Ross to Muckross, but I'm not absolutely sure. The people hiring you bikes should have details of all the local cycle paths - there are lots of them.

Otherwise, cycle as far as Muckross House, and follow the walking signs for Torc Waterfall, You will go down by the lake and under the main road to get to Torc,

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rowing Boats & Torc Waterfall

Hi Patsymay,

Yes, though you can occasionally hire a row boat at Ross Castle, it is best to hire a boat man to take you to Innisfallen Island (in a small boat with outboard motor). He will drop you on the island and arrange to pick you up after an arranged amount of time. But any boat man can take you back to Ross Castle as they have this arrangement with each other.

Down by the waters edge near Muckross House you can also hire a boat man to give you a run on the water and this can be as short or long as you like.

You can access Torc Waterfall via a short path on the left hand side of the Killarney Kenmare Rd about a mile and a half past the main entrance to Muckross House.

But it sounds like you wish to do this on a bicycle:

My suggestion would be to rent you bike in town and head down New Steet to the Cathedral and enter the park there. The is a small cottage restaurant just inside the in case you want to begin your morning with a coffee or pick something up for the day. You will head to the left as you face the cottage and ride down into a small meadow and come upon a slight river. Head right along the river and this will take you to Ross Castle along the lake shore. The boat for hire will be infront of the castle by the old pier.

Unfortunately there is no bike path from here to Muckross. You will have to head up Ross Road as if you were heading back into town by car. It is a fairly quite road all the way. When at the top of this road you will turn right and head out of town on the Muckross Road and over the Flesk Bridge. This is the last bridge on the Flesk River on its way to the Lower Lake and so your only option of getting from one park to the other. But soon after the bridge you can ride you bike on the jaunting car path to the right of the main road to give you a more pleasant ride. This path will take you into the Muckross part of the park along the lake shore, through pastures, past Muckross Abbey and onto Muckross House.

If you do head down to the lake as seen from the house you can continue on that path to Muckross Boat House and beyond again to Torc Waterfall.

Something me and me buddies would do when we were younger was to ride our bikes to Dinnis Cottage. The path to there begins at the end of the long stretch that led you to Muckross House. It meanders through old yew woods along the lake and meadows and takes you to the far side of Muckross Lake. If you continue past the cottage and up to the main road, you can take this as a roundabout way to Torc Waterfall. Unfortunately this is on the narrow main road and so you might be better advised to make a U-turn at the cottage and head back the way you came. But do wander around the back of Dinnis Cottage (stop in if it is open) and check out the Old Wier Bridge and the Meeting of the Waters. The latter make for an excellent photo op no matter what the weather.

Pretty much all of what I have mentioned in well signposted within the parks and so there is really no fear of you getting lost.

UK
Level Contributor
655 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rowing Boats & Torc Waterfall

The lake changes pretty quickly and can get very choppy down by Ross, we have had calmer days out by the golf course but it is pot luck to find someone down there willng to hire you the boat.

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rowing Boats & Torc Waterfall

Took trips from Ross and Mucross in the past. Both lovely, with more to see and do at Mucross.

5. Re: Rowing Boats & Torc Waterfall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 07, 2009