We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney Area in July

Alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney Area in July

Hi All,

There are 6 of us, all adults that will be traveling to Ireland July 13 - July 24. We have a self catering cottage on Muckross Road;Coolies Thatched cottage. My husband and I have visited Ireland 3 times and got to see many highlights on a motorcoach trip.

However, his parents have never been before so we would like for them to see a few of the things that we have been to already, but we do not want to be in our vechicle driving all day. So, would you tell me what you think?

Arrive Shannon 835am - New to driving on the left so I thought we "might" try a drive to Doolin then to Cliffs then take the Ferry in Kilmar to arrive in the Killarney area about 4pm(that is our earliest check in time for the cottage)

Sunday - Gap of Dunloe tour then at leisure

Monday - They have a need to see Waterford and Cobh - so my thinking was to get up early drive to Waterford and on the way back to Killarney stop in Cobh and Blarney.

Tuesday and Wed. and Thursday - We have made the trip around the ROK but I would love to see the Skelligs and Puffins and Staigue Fort. I also would like to see the Beara Pennisula, Skibberdean and Dromberg Stone.

Friday - we have to prepare to leave and get back to the Bunratty area for our flight Saturday morning.

Do you think all of this is still too much?

And I found the TESCO site and it says that they will deliver groceries. I thought that might save us some itinial steps.

Thank you!

Killarney Tour & Taxi Service
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Deros Coach Tours
Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wild Atlantic Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Outdoors Ireland - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Lessons & Workshops, Kayaking & Canoeing, Climbing Tours
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney Area in July

i think monday is hopeless...i mean it takes about 5 hours, each way to drive from killarney, to waterford, to cobh, and if you stick blarney in after cobh, that is another 2-1/2 hours on the return trip....a total of about 12-1/2 hours of nothing but driving....and if you want to see anything you are driving past that would take time that you just wouldn't have left in the day.....

as for grocery delivery, i think while you are out and about you will pass plenty of groceries and won't have to pay to have someone deliver for you....

with only 7 days, i would eliminate waterford, cobh, and blarney and use your time for something else....

just a thought....

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney Area in July

Since I've just got an entire thread going complaining about people ignoring Waterford I'm a bit nervous of saying - I agree, you really can't do the Waterford Cobh trip. Well you could physically get there and back but you wouldn't have time to do anything.

Five hours is a bit generous as an estimate but the AA time of I think 2 hours 20 or thereabouts is nonsense. Since you have a house booked for the week why not make best use of it and really explore the area you are in, you can always come back and do some of the other places another time.

While the Tesco online shopping might seem like a good idea, there are so many things that have different names, you might find it rather frustrating. Having said that they provide an excellent service. As Oma says, you will pass grocery shops and shopping centres, it might be easier to pop in and get what you need on your way to your house.

Alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney Area in July

Thank you both so much.

I have been to Waterford and was lovely.

Maybe next time we will just overnight in that area and visit other towns.

Thank you again

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney Area in July

You say you will be in Killarney from July 13th? Do you realise Killarney Festival week starts on 16th and lasts all week? The place will be thronged. Wouldn't fancy driving too much in the immediate area.

5. Re: Killarney Area in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 pm, November 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Killarney Area in July

tvlgal....as oldtimer61 mentioned, the 16 to 19 is the Killarney Festival. It is a horse racing festival. You should definitely plan a day at the races. They have both flat and hurdle racing, but it is different than racing I have been to here. In addition to a betting window, there are bookmakers who will be standing outside with signs showing the odds on the horses racing. Different bookmakers have different odds, so you can look around for the best deal. The atmosphere is great and it is a really fun way to spend an afternoon or evening.

Killarney Summerfest runs July 1 - 17 and is a music festival. There a lots of things going on. They have a website, www.killarneysummerfest.com. Although there will be lots of people in Killarney, you will not lack for things to do.

Alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Killarney Area in July

Hi,

I did see in their events calender about the races, but by that time I already had my cottage and airline tickets.

We'll deal with that and hopefully get to see them.

Thank you

Alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Killarney Area in July

Hopefully I will not forget my camera, just bought a brand new digital. Had my old film SLR for years decided to go ahead and change with the times.

Thanks

Lisa

9. Re: Killarney Area in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 29, 2009