We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney in June

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney in June

Hello.

I've tentatively reserved a b&b in Killarney from June 10 - 13, but am having second thoughts. I know how touristy Killarney can be, but has the tourist-crunch already started by the dates I will be there? Will the pubs, restaurants and tours be too crowded to enjoy? Should I wait for my next trip - which will be planned for the off-season? And if not Killarney, where else? Dingle? Cork? My interests are Irish trad music (since my previous visit to Galway) and a little sightseeing and horse racing. BTW, I won't have a car and will be traveling from Dublin.

Thanks to all, not just to those that respond, but to everyone that participates in this wonderful forum.

Meath, Ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney in June

hi there newyorker, we are actually going to new york in October, cant wait, anyway, Killarney will be fairly packed from June to September. I would suggest staying in Dingle if its trad music and irish pubs you;re looking for. the fact that you dont have a car could be a problem though, as Killarney and Cork would have better transport links and all the tours would go from there, but dingle would be great for walking around or cycling around the surrounding countryside. Cork is ok but its a big city, you might not want that coming from new york. you might want to check ennis which i think is like a minature version of galway, it has great pubs and lots of music, its close to Limerick and cliffs of moher, the burren, bunratty castle and folk park to name but a few. hope you enjoy your trip

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney in June

June is a great time to visit Killarney. Bud-i-a to the begruggers.

No seriously June is a nice time between golfers in May & families in July/ August.

Buckley's Bar & The Avenue a great for good trad sessions.

ireland
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney in June

hi new yorker

im from cork but go to killareny quiet often ! its quiet easy to get from dublin to killarney by train leaves dublin around 9ish arrives killarney 12.30ish (check times at hueston station in dublin!! my times not correct just an estimate!) train stops in centre killarney. killarney is a great place for trad music and craic and fun if you go to the right place just ask the staff where you are staying where to go! the best advice you will ever get is from the people who work and live in the area! of course you have to visit cork while you are in kerry bus servive every hour or so durying the day and so. to contradict the previous viewer but cork is tiny compared to new york trust me i have been to both places!!!!

overall enjoy your trip!

irelandm.net
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney in June

june is a great time to go to killarney, the busy time is july/august, most pubs offer free entertainment so you can wander around until you see somthing you like. I recommend seeing the irish dance show in the INEC.

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killarney in June

Thanks everyone, you've convinced me. I will not alter my plans and will now look forward to Killarney in June with much anticipation.

Dublin
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Killarney in June

Another option is Kenmare which is about 30 mins from killarney. It is a heritage town with great restaurants , pubs, shops etc

Wonderful accommodation such as Shelbourne Lodge, Sallyport house or spoil yourself at the Park Hotel Kenmare.. true luxury even if only for a cocktail.

Its a town where Irish people visit as it is not touristy.On the Atlantic so great walks and boat trips.

One recent Ireland travel writer advised traht Killarney is best seen from a rear view mirror!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,424 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Killarney in June

Petals - Kenmare can be difficult to get to without a car. Killarney is accessible by both bus and train.

I really don't know which guides commented so negatively about Killarney - but remember millions of visitors cannot be all wrong. I have travelled extensively in both Ireland and Britain, and I personally think that Killarney National Park is a beautiful place - it is somewhere I always love returning to, time after time.

Roland, Iowa
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Killarney in June

Hey Lifetime,

We'll be in a B&B in Killarney at the same time in June! We'll be at Kingdom View. I can't wait! I'm hoping to catch some traditional music somewhere on this trip. The last trip, the only "traditional" music we found was a guy in a pub singing James Taylor & Elvis songs... We must have hit them on an off night.

We leave in 9 days!!! Safe travels to you!

Val

UK
Level Contributor
655 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Killarney in June

We go to Killarney in the height of the season - July/Aug. Do not have that much of a problem, the town is busy in the evening but it is a nice busy, as everyone is relaxed and enjoying themselves. June is a quieter, and the weather is often good.