We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney Park Hotel

yorkshire england
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Killarney Park Hotel

We have not been to Ireland before and have just booked four nights at the Killarney Park Hotel - can anyone suggest an itinery?

I want to drive around the ring of Kerry and possibly travel to Dingle.

We arrive at 2.45pm at Dublin and had thought of staying overnight at Kilkenny before travelling to Killarney. I had then considered moving back to Wicklow for the last two ights. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,424 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney Park Hotel

Lozzo,

Take a look at this thread currently on this page

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k10461…

It gives lots of ideas about The Ring and Dingle.

I would also suggest you visit Muckross House and Gardens, Torc Waterfall, head up to Ladies View.

Ross Castle and Island in Killarney are also lovely.

If you are arriving in Dublin, it will take a while to get out. You will catch the rush hour traffic. It would take a while to get to Kilkenny. My suggestion would be to get outside Dublin - as far as Kildare (Clauds is the Kildare Expert and is great) and stay there for the night, then drive to Killarney next day.

You could stop of in Adare Village on the way www.adarevillage.com/ Maybe have lunch in the heritage centre.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney Park Hotel

Oooooh Bean, I am blushing! Thanks anyway.

lozzo, does the time of your arrival in Dublin refer to the airport or Dublin or Dun Laoghaire ferry ports....? Given the time of your arrival at either location you should head for Kilkenny and stay the night (irishrover has great suggestions for B&B or hotel accommodation there, just enter the screen name into the search box or filter to the Kilkenny forum for particular threads dealing with Kilkenny).

With four nights at your disposal in Killarney you can easily travel to the Dingle peninsula, check out the thread for which Bean gave you the link.

Regarding Wicklow you might consider staying somewhere around Glendalough (www.glendalough.connect.ie/ will give you information on the place and available accommodation but please note that not all of the accommodation choices are IN Glendalough - they might be well outside). There are beautiful places to visit around there.You could also go to Powerscourt House, Gardens and Waterfall (www.powerscourt.ie/gardens/ for the homepage and powerscourt.ie/gardens/waterfall/index.htm for the waterfall). You will have to pay admission but I think you can get a combined ticket for the gardens and the waterfall. Another lovely place is Mount Usher Gardens (www.mountushergardens.ie/). Or if you like horses how about visiting the National Stud near Kildare town (www.irish-national-stud.ie/)?

I think you will have a great time!

yorkshire england
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney Park Hotel

Thanks to you both for the info. We arrive at Dublin airport at 2.45pm. How long will it take approx to get to Kilkenny? That looks like a nice place for an overnight stop. Is it an easy drive from the airport? We have two teenagers 14 and 16 and thought that they would enjoy staying in Killarney rather than a quiter place.

P.S. I'm terrified of horses!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney Park Hotel

lozzo, Kilkenny is about 80 miles from Dublin and it's a pretty straightforward drive along the M50, N7, M7, M9, N9, N10.

Okay, so forget about the National Stud... I just about know the front of a horse from its behind and how to stay away from both...

5. Re: Killarney Park Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 23, 2009