We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve

Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve

We'll be arriving in Kilgarvan on December 31 anyone have any suggestions as to where to ahng out New Years Eve. We're a family of four (kids are 19 and 21) Not looking for fancy just fun. Have looked into places in Killarney, Kenmare and Kilgarvan but can't seem to find anything on the Web. Need HELP!!!

Thanks

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,796 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve

Bump

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve

Don't know what BUMP means, but if it means 'for gods sake stay out of Kilgarvan' then I agree.

Kilgarvan is one of the many transit villages between cork/Killarney and Kenmare. It is a nice small sleepy village

Well that's how it appears to me, a reg. visitor to Kenmare.

I get the impression that you have free accomodation in Kilgarvan, (if you have-that's great, if not, consider booking a place to stay in Kenmare or Killarney)

Many of the guesthouses in the area will be closed for the period you will be in Ireland.

I suggest you look up the Park Hotel in Kenmare on the web www.kenmarepark.com and see what deals they are offering for the new year. It is an expensive hotel, but with acknowledged level of excellent service. Most Irish hotels offer Christmas/New Year Packages, but many are booked out months in advance, so start investigating now.

There are lots of hotels in Killarney that will offer Christmas packages. If your accomodation is already booked, you will need to ask the proprieters to recommend some new years eve entertainment for you. If you don't organise your new years properly in this country you can very easily find yourself 'out in the cold' when the new year countdown begins.

Happy New Year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve

Sorry, gave you the incorrect web address in my last posting.

The park hotel web address is www.parkkenmare.com and NOT kenmarepark

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,796 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve

Byrno - just trying to get this family some attention. They were languishing on page 2, alone :O) Surely everyone deserves a pint on New Years Eve?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyy, just saw the prices for the Park Hotel on the web. Hope you are a millionaire.

IF NOT, maybe you should check out more reasonably priced hotels/guest houses in Killarney

Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve

I rented a cottage in Kilgarvan... it seemed a good base for touring.. near the beara peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Killarney, Glengarriff, Kenmare... don't mind that it's sleepy, but New years I figure I just can't take my chances and arrive with nothing planned.

So, th only suggestion appears to be a pricey hotel?... C'mon nothing else doing around that area? I'd have to hold my son at gunpoint to get him in anything resembling a jacket and tie... sadly even on New Years

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,796 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve

MEMMY - there seems to be a dearth of information on Kilgarvan, on the web. However, I have just found the address and telephone number of the local post office. The local post-master or post-mistress ALWAYS know what is going on and where to go. Would you consider giving them a buzz....seriously. They would know about the local pubs etc.

Kilgarvan,Killarney,Co. Kerry

Hours: Mon to Fri 9.00-1.00 & 2.00 - 5.30 Sat 9.00-1.00

Phone: 064-85481

Fax: None

I know this is extreme, but your position is becoming extreme :O)

Take Care.

Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve

Thanks!... Might just call... although I'm at work at the moment and don't think they'd take kindly to me calling overseas. BTW: I don't have to find entertainment in Kilgarvan.. am willing to drive a bit (Well, that is I'll force my husband to) so ifd you hear of anything interesting in the area I'm flexible

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,796 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve

There'll definately be some craic in Kenmare that night...but no harm in ringing the post office in Kilgarvan. They'd be delighted to help you. Take Care.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve

Seriously, make sure you have something organised. Otherwise you will end up in a pub on new years and it could be a very hit and miss experience. I suggest book an early meal in the Limetree restaurant - Kenmare, say 6:30pm/7:30pm and then head to one of the local hostelries nearby where you can ring in the new year. Don't forget to organise a taxi a few days in advance if all the drivers intend drinking.