We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals...how far in advance?

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
Car rentals...how far in advance?

We will not be in Ireland until next May but will need a van (7 people) and prefer an automatic transmission. How far in advance should I think of reserving?

When in Australia, all the rental cars that were being driven by Americans had a little card in the rear winow that said "Yank Driving!". It was a joke....but actually helped people understand when we got flustered with driving on "the wrong side of the road". I hope the Irish are as patient with us... :-)

Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals...how far in advance?

The sooner the better I guess, but I have been stumped by the last minute deals sometimes!

Where are you flying into?

I have used www.irishcarrentals.com several times and not had any complaints. On top of the internet price they do seem to charge you a road fund tax too which is a little naughty. Having said that the price is very reasonable and the only problem I have ever had with them is the car needing a wash.

The pace of life in Ireland is fabulous all much slower then here in the UK, the people are much more patient even to a degree in the larger townd and cities.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals...how far in advance?

ladymanx, you are in for a shock, i just pulled a van up for a ten day rental and it is $1563.98 standard transmission, and that is without super cdw, which you will certainly want to get....if you add automatic transmission it will be about triple that price, if they have one available......

it would be cheaper to get two smaller cars most likely.....

just FYI

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rentals...how far in advance?

Yes, I know it's expensive...extremely expensive...but split several ways it is still better than any other options I can see. We will be flying into Shannon and staying two weeks in a cottage at Garrykennedy, hoping to tour southern Ireland at our leisure. I noticed there is quite a difference between various rental agencies, depending on season and vehicle, etc etc. I am prepared for the cost (yikes!!!) and will choke it down, so to speak, for this once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

The experiences and advice on this forum are certainly valuable. I read it almost daily, just to see what others are saying, how they've found things to be, opinions and warnings, as well! It's 8 months until we travel so I have time to absorb all the knowledge I can get my hands on! Thanks to everyone who lends a helping word!

Ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rentals...how far in advance?

For car rental, look at some of the Consolidators(?) like www.holidayautos.com, www.carhire3000.ie or www.carhire4less.com.

We usually opt for one of those when we want to hire in mainland Europe. They are usually cheaper than going direct to the main guys even though when you go to collect the car, you will be dealing with one of the main guys.

In Ireland I have found Enterprise reasonable but again book on the web. Web prices seem consistently better than walk in hire.

5. Re: Car rentals...how far in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Galway