We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Ireland - what to do and see! Suggestions??

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Ireland - what to do and see! Suggestions??

Hello,

My hubby and I will fly into DUB in February for a 3 night layover before heading back to NYC. I'd love to be able to get out of Dublin and see the West coast (Cliffs of Moher and Galway) but what else should/can we do? I want to make the most of our trip especially with us only being there for 3 days so any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

What else is over there to see? Is Galway a great place to visit?

Thank you!!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 days in Ireland - what to do and see! Suggestions??

Keep in mind the short daylight hours in February and unpredictable weather might make the east coastal regions a better choice. I would suggest keep Dublin as your base and use public transport such as trains when planning your days out of the city to Belfast or Kilkenny for example.

Edited: 11:49 am, June 17, 2014
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 days in Ireland - what to do and see! Suggestions??

You will only have about 9 hours of daylight in February. There is plenty to see & do, in Dublin, maybe a side trip to the surrounding areas, Malihide, Howth, or up to Skerries. You could take the train from Dublin to Galway, about 3 hours each way, Dublin to Belfast, about 2.5 hours each way, that said, I have taken the train, from Galway to Hueston Station, beautiful scenery (if you are facing in the right direction & it's a fairly clear day). Belfast or Galway, are doable, If you left very early by train, and returned late. reservations are a must. Hope this helps.

Edited: 4:52 pm, June 17, 2014
DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3 days in Ireland - what to do and see! Suggestions??

OP, Are you getting tired of all this advice?! Hope not!

Sample rail times: Lv. Dublin 9:25 Heuston - Arrive Galway 11:47

Iarnrod Eireann Irish Rail 011 +353 1 8366 222 or 1 850 366 222 (see website for advance reservations)

On the Galway route, there is no 1st class/2nd class, but you can get a reserved seat. On the Belfast route, there is a 1st class, but 2nd class is totally fine.

Lv Dublin 9:35 Connolly Station - Arrive Belfast Central 11:47 Value Cabs: +44 (0) 28 9080 9080 (They have free call boxes at the train station exit; very reasonable, reliable cab company. They are also the official cab company of the Titanic Experience.)

The weather in Dublin is more temperate; but still expect some low temperatures. 2013 saw record lows; comparing the weather to that of Siberia! Snow in the mountains did affect our Wicklow Tour route, but otherwise everything was open as usual. Last year wasn't as cold, but definitely take tall leather boots, jeans, a warm thin sweater for layering, a lined raincoat, and good wool scarf, hat and gloves. By nightfall, we were usually happily ensconced in a pub for the first of two sessions; dinner in between.

14. Re: 3 days in Ireland - what to do and see! Suggestions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2015