We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doolin or Kinvara

UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Doolin or Kinvara

I have booked a BnB in Doolin, however prices in Kinvara seem a lot cheaper.

We have 3 days. Our plan is to see/walk the Burren, Inis Mor island for the day and some good food with a bit of trad music.

Not sure which is the best base.

Just thought I would ask!

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
The Burren
The Burren
672 Reviews
County Clare, Ireland
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doolin or Kinvara

Personally I'd opt for Kinvara. A lovely little spot

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doolin or Kinvara

Obviously other choices are available. Inis Mor best accessed from Ros an Mhil or tour from Galway which is closer to Kinvara. The Cliffs and Burren are closer to Doolin. Ballyvaughan is a compromise between the two locations. Inis Mor can be reached via Doolin, but the long ferry ride is problematic.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doolin or Kinvara

I've stayed in Doolin twice, Ballyvaughan several times, Kinvara never. Doolin has a nice location on the west coast, but the village can get extremely busy at weekends and during high season. Pubs packed with tourists, so much noise, you can't hear the music (my personal experience).

Throwing Ballyvaughan in as a consideration, as it's a pretty village, well-located to explore the Burren, and has a good range of accommodation. Logue's lodge offers good pub food and sports on tv; L'Arco restaurant serves nice Italian dishes. Haven't been to Monks pub for several years, but met someone who had been recently and raved about the "best seafood chowder" in ireland. Use booking.com as an easy tool to research prices, though I tend to book b&bs direct. Around 35-minute drive to Doolin for the ferry.

Kinvara is a nice village, quieter than Doolin and Ballyvaughan, so that may account for lower prices. Pier Head restaurant is supposed to be very good, particularly seafood; several pubs, cafes as well, and a lively farmers' market on Friday morning. Certainly a good option for the Burren; around 45-minute drive to Doolin.

If you're looking for lively atmosphere, lots of busy pubs, then Doolin hits the mark; Kinvara will be quieter, but is an attractive little village:

http://www.kinvara.com/

www.kinvara.com/farmersmarket/index.html

shannonheritage.com/Attractions/…

http://www.connollyskinvara.com/

http://www.pierhead.ie

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
The Burren
The Burren
672 Reviews
County Clare, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doolin or Kinvara

Kinvara always gets my vote over Doolin or (sorry SG) Ballyvaghan more options when it comes to food drink and entertainment and as you have said lees tourists = less costs. Of course you might prefer pubs busy with visitors rather than the mix and possibly even local bias of Kinvara

As said Inis Mor from Rossaveal Inis Oirr from Doolin, Inis Mean from either.

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doolin or Kinvara

No offence, tony! We tend to stay in Ballyvaughan because of its proximity to Aillwee and the Birds of Prey (for dd), and because one of our friends works at Logue's during the summer season. We rarely stay these days, being just over an hour's drive away . . . . the occasional night-stop if something is happening in the evening or early morning, and I don't fancy driving to 'n fro.

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
712 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Doolin or Kinvara

Book directly with the b&b's to avoid paying the commission to booking agents and this brings the price down

7. Re: Doolin or Kinvara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 28, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Galway