We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
69 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

We are 5 middle aged women who will be in Galway for 4 nights in June. We have a car but don't want to drive in Galway city nor after an evening in the pubs. Stay in galway center or salthill? Any suggestions on good b&b or hotel reasonably priced?

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

Salthill is quieter, the hotels and b&bs have car parking and a taxi is in the region €8-10. You will find it hard to park in the city as only a couple of the hotels have parking. You could always look at lower Salthill, lots of b&bs and a stones throw from town.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

I'd stay in Salthill. A taxi will be cheap enough amongst 5. We've stayed at the Salthill Hotel and we like it a lot.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,762 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

I might question why Galway as a 4 night base, If aiming to see Connemara I might use one or two of the nights in the region itself.

Somewhere like Prague house B&B on the Galway/Salthill border might be a good option but there are lots of options within walking distance of the centre. Maybe consider up on College Rd?

Driving in Galway is fairly straightforward its the getting in and getting out at peak times thats the problem.

Edited: 7:21 am, April 07, 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,523 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

We stayed at the Seaview Apts in Salthill; we loved having the space (and the kitchen for breakfast) in an apartment. The view of the bay was wonderful. There were lots of restaurants within a short walk, and the bus to Galway city centre stopped right at the door.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
69 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

Tony2phones: we have 4 nights as yet without a reservation anywhere. Those nights come after Single and before our last 2 nights close to the Shannon airport. Galway seems a good starting point for day trips to Connemara and Mayo. We are not bound to 4 nights. Maybe 2 in Galway and 2 somewhere else?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,509 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

I've stayed here over New Year these last few years.

www.theardilaunhotel.ie/

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

If you want to stay in the general area to explore the Burren, Connemara and Mayo, I would split the nights between Clifden and Galway.

www.clifdenstationhouse.com/…

http://www.galwaybayhotel.net/

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

Salthill as a tourist is a nice place to stay, especially if you can have a room overlooking the Bay.

We've stayed many a time at The Salthill Hotel and more recently The Galway Bay Hotel.

We like Galway as a base, the city centre has a great cosmopolitan buzz about it. You can take many day trips and know you'll have an enjoyable evening back in the city, or outskirts, Salthill.

If you want budget priced accommodation in the city, have a look at Jury's Inn, there's a car park next to the Hotel (charge of €10 per overnight stay). It has recently had a refurbishment and is looking pretty trendy!

We've been visiting Galway for over twenty years now, and always find something new to see or/and do. You'll have a great time ;-)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
69 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

Thanks everyone for your input. Gives me a lot to work with!

ezs
Manalapan, NJ
Level Contributor
302 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galway Town Center or Salthill for 4 nights

My daughter and I stayed at the Adare Guesthouse just over the bridge from the center of Galway and within walking distance of Salthill. We found it very convenient and were able to walk everywhere. They have parking (free) right there.

Have a great trip,

eVe