We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

I have checked flying and the ferry from Galway to the Aran Islands and I have some questions. I have also read a few older threads but did not see all the information I am looking for.

I put in our round trip tickets and it appears that the ferry is E45 and the flight is E98. Is this correct? I have seen it mentioned on here that they were similar prices. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

We may pay the extra to shorten the travel time. We will have such a short day on the island, I don't know if we want to spend 4 hours traveling on a ferry.

How is parking at the airport, and how is parking at the ferry terminal? We will have a car so getting to either location is not a problem. This will be on a weekday. We live in Washington, DC so we are used to terrible traffic.

Is there public transit on the island from the ferry and airport into Inishmor?

I am totally undecided about the ferry over flying and would appreciate any opinions and input that you can offer.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

4 hours on a ferry? I think you might have misread something somewhere. The boat trip is closer to an hour.

Really just a matter of preference; it is twice as much to fly versus the ferry. Maybe someone had a discount or overnight package or something that made the flight price more competitive, but generally it's going to be much more expensive to fly.

You're traveling through rural County Galway to get to the ferry or the flight, nothing to compare to Washington DC! Parking won't be a problem, it's 5 euro at the ferry, not sure what the cost is, if any, if you fly.

Inismor is the name of the islnd. You're already "there" when you land. Where do you have to meet the guy who is doing your ceremony?

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

I went by ferry a few years ago. It took 40 minutes. You will have to drive/coach to the airport in Inverin or ferry departure in Rosabhil ( pronounced Rossaveal) anyway. The islands aren't so big that you are going to miss much by "only" doing a day trip. You can get a local driver in either a minivan or pony and trap to bring you around the island. On Inismor, the driver will leave you to explore and collect you at a specified time and then bring you to the next place of interest. You could also get the ferry from Doolin in County Clare to Inisheer. This ferry returns via the Cliffs of Moher. I brought my family on it last July. We had a great day out.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

P.S. there are 3 islands beside each other, Inismor ( big island) Inismean ( middle island) and Inis Oirr (Inisheer) meaning East Island. All are accessible by boat or plane. Inismor would have more to see but Inisheer makes for a laid back chill out day.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

Also meant to say, return price via ferry to Inismor is 25 euro per adult ( www.aranislandferries.com/times_mor.php ). Incidentally, we got a trip to Inisheer via the Cliffs of Moher for 27 euro last summer ( family of 5) but I think that was a special we came across

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

I flew to Inis Mór last year and the price difference was minimal. I guess it was just the time of year I was going or something. There is parking at both the airport and ferry, it's free at the airport and I THINK it's €5 per day at the ferry but I'm not 100% on that.

We ended up having to come back by ferry, it happens a couple of times a year due to weather. It was nice to experience both but I really loved (to be honest I was terrified) the plane, real adrenal rush!

There are minibuses, pony and traps and bikes to take you around the island once you reach Kilronan. There is a bus service which meets all incoming flights and drops passengers in Kilronan, it's €5 return.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

Price of the flights depends on how many people are booked to fly that day, more people = lower price.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

Just reiterating that the fare on Aran Island Ferries to Inishmore is 25 euros per person (22.50 euros per person if you book online) and the ferry trip takes 40 - 45 minutes. If you take the first and last ferries of the day, you should have at least 5 hours on the island. We rented bikes and were able to: visit Dun Aengus, Dun Eoghanachta, the Seven Churches,and the seal beach; eat a picnic lunch; and have an unrushed bike ride over the island.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

I've done the ferry before and this year, God willing, i'll fly over....I don't get seasick but I almost get sick listening to those around me that do.....as was said earlier, it's personal preference.......

I paid E49 return ticket and parking is free at the airport......

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

Thank you all for your input. I will need to discuss these options with my bf and see which he has a preference for. You all have given me a lot of good information about both the ferry and the flight and that will really help our decision about whether we are going to go over there or have the officiant come to us in Galway.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying or ferry from Galway to Aran Islands

It really is a personal choice. I would never take the ferry again, because I get seasick.

Also, I love the flight. It is a great experience to get on that tiny plane and maybe even sit up with the pilot!

However, if you have no particular reason for wanting to fly, I guess they ferry will work just as well for you.