We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Restaurants in Leenane

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
375 reviews
Save Topic
Good Restaurants in Leenane

Greetings all,

I am looking for one (or two would be great) nice restaurants in the Leenane / Maam Cross area. I will be there in mid August.

I will have a car and don't mind driving a few miles if I have to and if the restaurant is really worth it.

I like all types of food especially seafood and money is no object (last of the big spenders here!)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Restaurants in Leenane

So, does this silence mean there are none? ;-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Restaurants in Leenane

Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be much. There is a seafood place called Portfinn Lodge but not into seafood so I dont know what it is like. There is a cafe called the Blueberry cafe but have never eaten there so I don't know.

There are a few restaurants in Renvyle about a half hour drive heading toward Cliften, you turn right in Letterfrack. Renvyle house hotel was quite nice, plenty of seafood.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

Enjoy the time in the area, if you have good weather it is fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
761 Reviews
Renvyle, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Restaurants in Leenane

Thanks for the response. The Portfinn website is quite good, but i'd love to hear from someone who ate there.

I cannot find any ref on the web to blueberry cafe (except the one in Kilkenny)

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Restaurants in Leenane

Leave it with me and I will make some enquiries and see does anyone have any experience there.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,141 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Restaurants in Leenane

I was away and just returned so I'm a bit late in answering, but I just stayed in Leenane 2 weeks ago.

Now I would think they would be geared up for tourist season as it was June 27th, but I was surprised when I asked around to find that The Portfinn lodge wasn't open for dinner, and the Blueberry (or was it Blackberry?) Cafe was closed on Tuesdays. Of the two pubs I wandered into neither was serving food.

Ended up eating at the Leenane Hotel, I posted a review of the place. But not in the dining room just in the bar and not a full meal. Having said that , the service and atmosphere was great, I really enjoyed the smoked salmon/shrimp platter and a cheese plate (that was my whole dinner). So it's worth stopping in and having a look anyway to see if it meets your needs.

Mentioned in this post
Leenane Hotel
Leenane Hotel
623 Reviews
Leenane, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Restaurants in Leenane

IRISHFAN !!!! I'm staying at Leenane Hotel !!

Going to have a look at your review now, back in a few mins.

Bryno

Mentioned in this post
Leenane Hotel
Leenane Hotel
623 Reviews
Leenane, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Restaurants in Leenane

Irishfan, thanks for the review, it was helpful and the place is as I imagined.

You paid less than me ya divil, ya. I'm paying 60 euro per night, per person. I presume difference in seasons is the reason.

You mentioned breakfast, but not what it was like. Any good?

Any tips for us while we are there for 2 nights?

We may eat in the hotel on one night and possibly go to Galway for the second. If Portfinn is open we will investigate..

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,141 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Restaurants in Leenane

My first advice is to ring the hotel and make sure they set aside a "harbor view" room. (or whatever they call their rooms that face the water).

The remaining rooms facing the back are called "mountain view", but as of June 27th the back of the hotel was a gravel pit with a big earth mover, looked like they might be expanding the car park or something. I didn't hear any noise or anything, but not a view that I'd want anyway...

The breakfast was fine, nothing worth mentioning I guess. Self-serve juice and cereal and toast, I had the usual fry but don't really recall what the other choices might have been. i think there was a menu with 3-4 options but I don't recall specifics.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Restaurants in Leenane

Thanks IrishF, yes I did ask for a room with a view, not that I'll be there very long, and anyway just looking in the mirror is view enough for me - HA HA !!!!

10. Re: Good Restaurants in Leenane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 15, 2009