We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Galway to Killarney

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
165 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
driving from Galway to Killarney

My husband and I will be visiting Ireland the end of this month. We have never driven on the opposite side of the road that we are used to in the US. Would you recommend taking the bus to Killarney or driving? We are in our 40's and in good health, but are a little intimidated by the driving. Are the road conditions good on that journey? We are planning on staying two nights in Killarney and then going to the Dromoland Castle for our last night and leaving from the Shannon Airport. Do you recommend driving from Killarney to Dromoland Castle and if no, is there pubic trasport between the places? Also, while staying in Galway, we would like to see the Cliffs of Moher, but again concerned about the driving. Would you recommend a tour or trying to drive? We would also like to see Ring of Kerry. I am assuming there are tours, but what are road conditions like for driving? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dromoland Castle
Dromoland Castle
340 Reviews
Newmarket-on-Fergus, Ireland
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,710 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Galway to Killarney

Hi Leki,

Public transport in Ireland when not travelling to and from the main cities can sometimes be difficult and involve stopovers...I have driven Galway to Killarney many times and it should not be difficult even if you are not used to driving on the opposite side of the road. I would however recommend you get a satnav. Another suggestion is that you could visit the cliffs of moher en route to Killarney. it would be better than doing a return trip from Galway. I don't know about tours there so can't advise. I am not sure if public transport goes directly to Dromolamd Castle, but you could check with hotel and they will be able to let you know. For the ring of Kerry, if you are nervous about driving you should look into day tours as the roads are very narrow in places and it an get busy, the tourist information office in Killarney or the hotel you are staying in will be able to help you organise this.

Edited: 1:53 am, October 14, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Galway to Killarney

Hire a car, you will be fine after the first half hour, crowds are gone by now, remember, the speed limits are not a speed to aim at driving, but just that, a limit. Take it easy until you feel comfortable.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Galway to Killarney

ROC take a tour, the rest of your requirements.. Drive .. If you can do it in Texas you can do it in Irieland.

San DIego
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Galway to Killarney

Leki...would love to about your experience driving we are basically taking the same trip in November...Staying in Galway 2 nights then picking up a rental car driving to the Cliffs of Moher and stopping off for one night at Dromoland Castle...Next day driving to Killarney and keeping the car for 3 more days to drive the ring of Kerry and if time permits the Penisula of Dingle...then drop the car off at Killarney and train it back to Dublin....I have never driven on the "opposite side of the road either" but i survived driving in Italy and well California too....Would love if you could let me know if you decide to drive how it was....Im in my 40s as well.... might need a whiskey at the end of the day after driving but ...we are in Ireland...LOL...

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dromoland Castle
Dromoland Castle
340 Reviews
Newmarket-on-Fergus, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Italy
Italy
Europe
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from Galway to Killarney

Just remember that the one who is driving has to be in a position close the the center of the road. If you are not, you are probably driving on the wrong side of the road.

Enjoy

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from Galway to Killarney

Hi Leki-I found that with my husband on the wheel (100%!) and me reading the GPS and navigating seemed to work pretty well, driving through Ireland (Shannon and southward). We just had to keep saying outloud "rights are easy! Lefts are hard!" but I will tell you, it never became normal for me or him. I jumped right back into counter-clockwise when we hit the states!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from Galway to Killarney

Wait, what the heck am I talking about? See, I already can't remember the "driving on the left" rules! "LEFTS ARE EASY, RIGHTS ARE HARD!"

8. Re: driving from Galway to Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 17, 2014