We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

Is there anything interesting to see along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe?

I think it may be a more scenic route to first take the R446 and then joining the M6 at junction 15 rather than take than joining the M6 at junction 16 directly. But if there is nothing much to see along that stretch of the R446, I wouldn't bother.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,400 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

Dartfield Horse Museum and Aughrim centre

http://www.dartfield.com/

www.bearatourism.com/Hymany/aughrim.html

Also avoids the M6 toll both ;-)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

Ha! I didn't notice that. What shall I do with that extra €1.90?

Aughrim might be worth a stop for a minute or six, I think, though.

Any old tower houses or perhaps megaliths that you know of along that road, Tony?

Edited: 5:58 pm, July 16, 2013
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

Part of the old N6 route which might be worth stopping off at the Battle of Aughrim interpretive centre, Sometimes referred to as 'Irelands Gettysburg' 12th July 1691. The casualties after a single days fighting between the Irish and the Williamite forces was put at several thousands.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

Depending on where you're coming from to get to Ballinasloe, if you don't mind going out of your way a little, when you're in that area (especially given your interest in history/archeology), you might visit the ecclesiastical ruins in south east Co Galway, south of Ballinasloe:

See Red Route here:

galwayeast.com/wayfinding_files/GalwayEastEc…

www.clonfertdiocese.ie/html/eyrecourt.asp

More on East Galway area:

http://www.galwayeast.com

Architectural Walking Tours of six towns in east County Galway:

Gort, Loughrea, Ballinasloe, Portumna, Athenry and Tuam:

www.galwayeast.com/wayfinding/index.php

A number of excavations were made during the construction of the M6 (motorway) between Dublin and Galway 2005 - 2009.

nra.ie/Archaeology/NRAArchaeologicalDatabase/

http://archaeology.nra.ie

Megalithic:

megalithicmonumentsofireland.com/COUNTIES/GA…

Tony might be kind enough to oblige by pointing out the ones in the immediate area of your visit.

Edited: 7:46 pm, July 16, 2013
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

Thanks - I'll certainly have a look on those pages that you posted. The plan for that day is not to stop in Ballinasloe, but to get on the M6 eastwards there and then to continue to Trim or perhaps skip Trim and rather go to Castleroche near Dundalk. Therefore, we won't have too much time to spend in the East Galway area. I was just thinking that if there is something interesting along the road there that is worth stopping for a few minutes to half an hour at, I'd like to know about it.

Luckily, I have been to a few of the sights around Gort, Loughrea and Portumna on a previous trip, and we might return to a few sights around the Gort area on the day before driving east, depending on whether or not the weather is conducive to it.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,400 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

There is not much directly on the road other than what has been given, The area is one of Ireland's relatively blank spots a fairly low flat agricultural area with no feuding families building tower houses to have rocks hurled at and both Ballinasloe and Loughrea being the religious centres.. A few features that were remnants have been ploughed under the M6 which had a fair number of archaeological victims.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

Thanks, Tony.

I think then it'll either be just a stop in Aughrim, or we'll just set off earlier in the morning to have more time in areas where people used to hurl rocks at one another ;)

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

En-route to Castleroach how about stopping off at the Battle of the Boyne site at Oldbridge, near Drogheda, prelude battle to Aughrim fought on 1st July 1691. Just another place where people used to hurl rocks at each other.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

Depending on how the day turns out, we were planning on stopping at the Battle of the Boyne site, yes.

We'll need to be at Dublin Airport to return the rental car at around 14:00, before a 17:00 flight (just a hop across to northern Europe), so the time is precious on that last day.

It's a bit of a toss-up between just heading hell-for-leather on the motorway towards Dundalk, or to forget about Castleroche and taking the smaller roads at a more leisurely pace towards the airport.

I have seen quite a few of the sights in that area before, but I have Fore Abbey (possibly too far out of the way), Trim Castle and Bective Abbey on the list of places to visit on the way to the airport.

If we set off from Loughrea at 07:00 in the morning, that gives us about 7 hours before we need to be at the airport...

(I know - we shouldn't try and do too much, but I enjoy driving, and for a few of the other days in Ireland we will be taking it easy.)

10. Re: Sights along the R446 between Loughrea and Ballinasloe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 19, 2014