We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY
Level Contributor
372 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

I am looking to rent a self-catering cottage in August and I would like to use an agent to do so. I have looked through the most readily available websites for self-catering accommodations, but I would really like an agent familiar with an area or a property management company that manages a bunch of properties. I do not wish to rent directly from owners because we are coming from New York and I do not want to risk being disappointed.

Does anyone know how I can find such an agent? No matter how I phrase my google search, the same websites appear again and again.

Thank you!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

If you are only looking for a week or two rental then there are only the usual players. If you want a month or more then Daft.ie has a number of local agents...

You could of course ask some of the Local people who contribute to the TA forums if they know of anywhere that may or may not be on the likes of Imagine Ireland or Shamrock cottages or perhaps some might have knowledge of the cottages offered by those two and other agents?

August is Peak Period so trying to find somewhere at short notice will not be a case of fussy selection more a case ow which is best from what is available.

Edited: 3:00 pm, July 09, 2013
KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

I researched for a too-long time and I haven't seen any real-estate agents advertising self-catering services. That said, a real-estate agent in the area may be happy to help you, as Tony suggested.

If not... I used a local property management company that does both long-term and short-term rentals. Search for regional websites, for example, "clifden tourism" or "clifden chamber" or "connemara tourism" or "galway tourism" etc. and look at their accommodation links. Maybe even Google the region and property management.

If you're looking at the western Connemara area, I used Connemara Lettings. She currently has about 40 properties. There is at least one other similar small businesses in the area, Connemara Coastal Cottages, which says it has 100 options.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

Be careful some of those properties are a whole bucket away from anywhere/anything else..

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

Would something like one of the Trident Holiday Homes work for you:

http://www.tridentholidayhomes.ie

KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

jklNy, You might just get lucky tho, and find a great property because someone else's plans fell through.

Very good point, Tony.

I sent requests with requests to multiple players. This particular property manager had three properties that met all my requirements: not in town but within 1.5 miles to Clifden, wifi/wired, detached, water view, internet access. But I was searching in January and booked it in February.

You may not remember but you were the one who suggested Clifden for Arts Week. We'll be there for the first part. So thanks a big bunch, Tony.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
372 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

Thank you very much. I have emailed a bunch of regular agents but haven't heard back.

I will try the websites suggested, although I did not find any on the Connemara tourism website. There do seem to be homes available for our dates in August but it is so very hard to determine if these homes would meet our needs. I must have logged at least 50 hours already going through websites and I would gladly pay a fee for someone with expertise to sift through them all and tell me what is rubbish. I am also surprised by how many homes do not show pictures of the surrounding grounds. It is nice to see highlights of the area, but I am also interested in seeing if there is another house 25 feet away, or a petrol station. See! Rubbish, self-catering, petrol, cottage, holiday, lough, hob, cooker, brilliant -- this search is slowly taking over my mind.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
372 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

I didn't know about the connemaralettings site and there are actually some homes there I haven't already seen.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

Thing is there are a couple of these places that if in a town would be termed Ghost estates, built in the boom and never occupied (in some cases never finished) others are holiday homes built before the world went pear shaped some just put in the hands of agents others sold as time-shares. The Connemara now is scattered with properties that have been empty for years, others occupied only a few weeks in summer or odd weekends..Some mightn't show the grounds because they are still scattered with building rubble .....sad really but the bust after the boom at least slowed that march.

What requirements??

Edited: 6:07 am, July 10, 2013
NY, NY
Level Contributor
372 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

Thank you so much. That is very helpful information. Some of the homes listed seemed curiously bare of furnishings.

We are travelling the last two weeks of August and there are still a number of homes available for that time, although perhaps not the most popular and reasonably priced ones.

Thank you for asking about our requirements, because I thought I had very few but have realized upon reflection that is not the case. We were looking for a location near to where we could hear music on at least several evenings, so ideally it would be pretty close to a town with a bunch of pubs and restauarants and also a market. Not too far from swimming, cycling and hiking and the home would be in a tranquil setting. Grounds should have somethig to interest kids--either a rocky shoreline, woodlands, streams, ponies, etc.

I was hoping to rent a simple, traditional home, but it has to accommodate five people and I have realized after searching that many of the older homes comfortably accommodate only four people. I saw a cute cottage in Athenry but after posting on this forum I did not receive the best feedback about the town.

Would you be able to give me any thoughts about the following locations: Ballyconneely, Ballinrobe, Clonbur and Skye Road near Clifden? I have found available homes in all of those places.

Thansk again!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Real estate agents that do holiday rentals.

Ballyconneely not much there apparently 3 bars I cant remember a prime area of growth until they decided to block building by anyone who could not speak Irish. The coral beach is a highpoint but not much else re shops bars, eateries.

Ballinrobe NE from Cong more options and older (for want of a better word) traditional village

Clonbur west of Cong stayed there once for 2 days of a weeks rental

Sky Rd Clifden. Another area with recent development most actually tastefully done..The building criteria was that you had to live or work in the vicinity for 5 years to get planning permission some surrounding areas were not so stringent.

I like Clifden so call me biased but the Sky Rd is a place I know well and would be my option. Of course most fit this map which has a few pins for interest http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu

How old are the kids if you don't mind me asking?