We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salthill

Pittsburgh...
11 posts
Save Topic
Salthill

We are heading to Galway next week and I'm interested in heading over to Salthill. We do not have a car so is it possible to walk there from Galway?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salthill

You can get a bus

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360756547-401.pdf

Portarlington...
Level Contributor
527 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salthill

The walk from city center to Salthill is about 2:5k or you could get a bus.

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360756547-401.pdf

Pittsburgh...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salthill

Ok, thank you for the links. It's our first time staying is Galway,is it worth the trip to see Salthill? It looks like a nice area. Are there a lot of pubs and or restaurants there to go to?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salthill

The sea walk is lovely and there are a couple of nice places to eat, but I think you can find nicer places to eat in Galway City.

When we go to Galway we will often have a sandwich or some lunch in the bar of the Salthill Hotel and go for a walk along the promenade. But for pubs and evening entertainment, the city is far better.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salthill

Salthill is a nice spot during the day but theres not much there at night really. Gourmet Tart, Lohans and The Oslo are good for lunch. The walk along the Prom is a Galway tradition and if the weathers as nice as today then its a joy.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salthill

It's a nice walk from Salthill either along the waterfront toward the old city center, or the street that Lohans is on runs on a slight angle toward the Galway Cathedral and then from there just over the bridge to the old city center. It's a 20-30 minute walk.

Pittsburgh...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Salthill

Ok if the walk is nice along the water then we will probably do that, especially if the weather is nice. Thank you for the suggestions!

Virginia
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salthill

It's a great walk. We stay n Salthill and walk into Galway.

bedworth
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salthill

Just returned from 6 days in Galway last night. Did the Galway salthill early every morning prom walk with yesterday's walk baked in sunshine. Abs gorgeous. As I sit back home looking out of my window at the rain I know where I would rather be. Makes a change to leave the sunshine. Highly recommend the prom walk

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salthill

Been living is Salthill 4 a while and adore it.

In a sunny day coulb be extremely but still worth.

Walk on the prom very relaxing, few good pubs 4 a pint and few places 4 lunch or coffee.

Ladies s beach (opposite Galway bay hotel)

Is a great spot to walk and check if the water is cold! ;-)

depending on tide!

Edited: 5:23 am, June 03, 2013