We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

Hi, we are thinking of sampling the delights of Galway for a week from 9th July. There will two adults and up to two teens and I am after tips on:

1. the best route to get us all and our car from Scotland to Galway

2. a nice hotel or self catering apartment - around 4 star standard

(a swimming pool would be nice but not essential)

3. any events that will be going on that week that may be of interest, or should be avoided!

4. What would you consider a 'must see' or 'must do' whilst we are there?

I hope that we are not too late to find some nice accomodation - it doesn't have to be right in the middle of the city, and car parking would be handy too. Is this a tall order at this late stage?

Many thanks in advance!

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

I'll get the ball rolling in regards getting to Galway

If you are taking the car from Scotland you can get a ferry from Troon, Stranraer or Cairnryan. These will bring to to either Larne or Belfast. If you go to www.aferry.to there is a Compare Prices thing where you can put in your details and get a quote for the different routes.

It is quite a drive from Belfast or Larne to Galway. http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes willl give you directions. It will probably suggest it is a 4 hr or so drive, 6 hours is in reality a reasonable time from Belfast, slightly longer if you go from Larne. Once you get away from Belfast the roads are often not very good. So you may be better off staying somwhere on the way especially if you have a good distance to drive in Scotland before boarding the ferry. Somewhere in Fermanagh would be a good place to stop. Its about halfway there.

You will probably find Galway to be very busy that week. As it is the week of the 12th of July in the north you will find a lot of northerners will head down to Galway for a few days as a lot of places in the north shut down for a few days

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

Thankyou so much for those tips. Is the 12th of July a bank holiday in the north? Do people just take the odd day off or the whole week?

I'm not too worried about the drive if we can get an early start at the Scottish end, though I would like to identify the shortest and least windy route that won't have everyone car sick! lol

I'm a bit concerned about being able to get decent accomodation - I thought if we came the week before the festival it would be ok - hope we find something.

I quite like the idea of staying in a holiday apartment - what are the chances do you think?

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

There is a 2 day holiday over the 12th July in the north so most people stretch it out to a long weekend. It is in the middle of the week this year so some people like me will take the whole week for a holiday. Its not a holiday in the Republic. Everywhere will be open there.

I am afraid a lot of the road to Galway is pretty windy. I have driven from Belfast many times and I still am undecided one which is the best route. They all annoy me as much as the next one.

AA Autoroute suggests going through Clones and Cavan. The roads around there can be pretty tight so if you get stuck behind a lorry, or worse a tractor, then sit back and enjoy the scenery. And you are almost guaranteed to hit roadworks. I have evey time I have went that way.

You would probably be best going via Enniskillen. it would be a bit longer distance wise but there is motorway or dual carriageway most of the way from Belfast to Enniskillen and the road after that isnt as bad for the majority as it is going through Clones/Cavan.

The only thing I have learnt is that it almost always takes 5 1/2 - 6 hrs to get there

4. Re: Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:52 pm, January 24, 2007
Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

Hi

There is an airport in Galway but I don't know if you can get flights from Scotland or not but you could fly into Dublin and change over or fly into Dublin and get the train to Galway from Heuston Station.

Irish Rail website is www.irishrail.ie

A good hotel in Galway is the Galway Bay Hotel, this is situated in Salthill looking directly onto the beach. The hotel has leisure facilities and really good breakfast and evening food. It will take you about 20 minutes to walk into the city centre from here or you can take the local bus if you wish. This hotel often has deals for 2 nights B&B and 1 dinner or 3 nights b&b and 1 dinner so it's worth checking out their website.

www.galwaybayhotel.ie

A few nice day trips from galway are

Cliffden Village

Maam Cross

Alliwee Caves in Clare

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,023 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

The original post is from last year!

purpleceltic came over, had a great time and went home again.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

It must be a day for old posts I've just come across another one on a different forum from 2005 that was doing the rounds again.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,023 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

Sure, Breezer, it happens, mostly because new posters resurrect old posts. And yes, I have done the exact same thing myself!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,108 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

It especially happens when new posters want to tout their new business lol...

NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family thinking of a visit to Galway 2nd week of July seek...

Have taken this trip-advise the ferry to Larne. Interesting and easy.

Don't miss Connemara,Cliffs of Moher and the Alwee Caves are fun for teens. Trips leave the city for the Aran Islands too. We use self catering. Very tough to find a booking. Good luck! I wouldn't advise staying in the city. The countryside is beautiful and the city is an easy day trip.