We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving From Galway to (London)Derry?

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
Driving From Galway to (London)Derry?

Hello esteemed Irish Experts,

Once again, I turn to you for advice. You have not let me down once, so thank-you for all your help in trip planning!

My wife & I will be travelleing the first week of June this year from Galway to Londonderry and I am looking for an interesting route/ sights along the way. Could you suggest some, as my guide, Sir Rick of Steves, has not? If you had to do this leg in one day...what would YOU like to see?

I thank all in advance for taking the time.

Jim

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving From Galway to (London)Derry?

Firstly its Derry to most Irish people :). If id to do it id go Galway-Sligo-Donegal-Derry. Simple really, lots of stops along the way especially if you go via the Donegal coast and rural Donegal, although most of Donegal is very rural. Long journey though so id keep the stops to a minimum.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving From Galway to (London)Derry?

Pop your journey into www.aaireland.ie/routes and you should get the route through Donegal which works out at Time: 4 hr 13 min - Distance: 275.46 Km. You'll need to add a bit for trraffic in towns and stops for breaks. If you Add Via, Killybegs [Donegal], Glenties and Letterkenny you can do the trip end-to-end in 5h45 and catch a whole lot more scenery.

Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving From Galway to (London)Derry?

An interesting route could be driving from Galway to Westport in County Mayo taking the N84 ( stop in Cong to check out the Abbey and the Quite Man Museum if you have time). Wesport is bright and vibrant and the town's harbour is really picturesque.

From Westport you can head to Donegal Town ( maybe a stop in Sligo?). I would suggest you stay in Malin Beg, with its beautiful beaches and a spectacular view of the Ocean. Not far from there you have the Sleeve League highest cliffs in Europe. You can drive along the coast, enjoy the scenery and the small villages. The Glenveagh National Park and Tory Island are definitely worth a visit. If you drive along the coast in the North part of the county you could take a ferry from Rathmullan to Buncrana to get the Inishowen Peninsula, the northernmost point on the island of Ireland. Check out Malin Head and Bamba's Crown.

4. Re: Driving From Galway to (London)Derry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Galway