We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student accommodation in Galway for NUI - Dunaras Village

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Student accommodation in Galway for NUI - Dunaras Village

My daughter is going to Galway for spring semester and is considering Dunaras Village (most other residences are full). I've read past posts that indicate it might be a"dodgey" area - any information or advice to provide? Thank you !

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Student accommodation in Galway for NUI - Dunaras Village

You might consider posting here

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php…

boards.ie is an excellent website and many of the NUI Galway students post on that page. You will probably get better responses.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Student accommodation in Galway for NUI - Dunaras Village

Not only is the area dodgy but so is the management of Dunaras. Avoid it like the plague.

I will pm you our letter of complaint to Dunaras and you can make up your own mind.

We never got any satisfaction afterwards to our complaint and we are Irish residents. Imagine trying to solve any issues with them when you are in Ilinois and your daughter is stuck in Dunaras.

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid.

Edited: 1:37 pm, November 20, 2012
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Student accommodation in Galway for NUI - Dunaras Village

RHB1. I have just PM'd you the text of my letter of complaint to the manager of Dunaras. They never responded to the letter and never returned our calls. I also sent a follow up letter to the management company responsible for Dunaras and that company completely ignored us as well.

They are an absolute disgrace and we could have taken this further legally as they accused us of stealing two cushions from their disgusting accommodation which is an outrageous accusation, particularly because even if we were thieves, there was NOTHING worth pilfering. We didn't take it further legally, and to this day I regret that decision.

Hopefully you will do right by your daughter and get her into decent accommodation when she is in Galway. Why not try a house share? I was very sorry that we did not do that at the time.

Edited: 1:46 pm, November 20, 2012
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Student accommodation in Galway for NUI - Dunaras Village

There is a reason some accommodation is Still available.. have you tried contacting the uni http://www.nuigalway.ie/international/ they usually have a list of people who may take overseas students into their homes for short stay's the alternative might be to consider the Hostels in the city. www.hostelworld.com/hostels/Galway/Ireland…

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Student accommodation in Galway for NUI - Dunaras Village

An alternative might be to contact the student accommodations directly.

Fees for Semester 2 are due about now. There may be students who would like to leave but who need someone to cover their accommodation (if you sign up for university accommodation you usually are liable for the full academic year unless you can get someone to replace you).

I wouldn't let my daughter stay in a hostel. Your daughter is coming over for a university experience and she won't get one in a hostel.

Another alternative would be to contact the international office in NUIG. They are used to helping students coming in from abroad for 1 or 2 semesters.

6. Re: Student accommodation in Galway for NUI - Dunaras Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Galway