We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Trip in 2 weeks! *Galway* or *Clifden* without car?

Seekonk...
5 posts
Save Topic
Help! Trip in 2 weeks! *Galway* or *Clifden* without car?

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Ireland for the first time, the trip is less than 2 weeks away and we're still having itinerary problems! We'll be arriving by train into Galway on the morning of Oct 5th (staying until mid-day on the 7th) and we're stuck between taking a bus up to Clifden or staying in Galway for two nights.

In Clifden we'd get to stay at Abbeyglen Castle which we were really looking forward to, staying in a castle was one of the highlights of the trip. However, we've decided we no longer want to rent a car so we're thinking there won't be a lot to do around Clifden without a vehicle. Is there anything to do in walking distance?

If we were to stay in Galway we'd be staying at the Park House Hotel which does look okay. As far as I can tell the earliest train from Dublin arrives in Galway at 10:15am. That being said the bus tour companies leave at 10am so we'd miss a tour for that day.

This there much to do in Galway? We don't plan on doing much shopping and aren't really history buffs. We'd take a tour bus only because we'd be missing seeing rural Ireland but we really don't enjoy the thought of being on a bus all day with a bunch of other tourists.

Bottom line - Which would be more a enjoyable experience? Bus to Clifden with not much to do for 2 half days and 1 full day OR stay in Galway with a tour bus on 1 day and not much to do for the other?

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Trip in 2 weeks! *Galway* or *Clifden* without car?

I liked staying in Galway, though we did stay out in Salthill, the beach area. We used a bus and a taxi to get around.

Right from downtown Galway, we took a 3 hour tour of Lough Corrib from up the River Corrib, on a nice boat-- great scenery-- you can sit up on top or inside where they have a snack bar with drinks-- Irish coffee etc.

Check out the Corrib Princess

Also you can take a bus tour that will take you to the ferry for the Aran Islands right from downtown Galway--- nice ferry-- and you're on your own once you reach the island

you can rent bikes to tour, or a pony cart I liked having the info from Michael who drove the trap also liked the food at the American Bar near the harbor.

Ellen

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Trip in 2 weeks! *Galway* or *Clifden* without car?

I am a great advocate of Clifden ....But... Without a car ? There is lots of places for walking, horse riding, the whole of the Connemara to explore and possibly decent night life. Clifden is a compact town surrounded by things to do and places to see.

My advice Stay in Galway or consider hiring a couple of bicycles to get around out there.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,232 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Trip in 2 weeks! *Galway* or *Clifden* without car?

I would stick with your Galway plans. There is certainly enough to do around the town for your first day. On Saturday take the advice given to look into a visit to one of the Aran Islands, it's a great day trip and they will run you out in the bus from town to the ferry depot.

I think the Park House is more than "okay", I really like the place.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,936 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Trip in 2 weeks! *Galway* or *Clifden* without car?

In case you are interested - or want to avoid it - there's The Galway Bay Half Marathon and 10K Race on Saturday October 6:

galwaybayhalfmarathon.com/raceinformation.htm

5. Re: Help! Trip in 2 weeks! *Galway* or *Clifden* without car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 13, 2013